What makes a good Origami book?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Tjips

What makes a good Origami book?

Post by Tjips »

Hey everyone :D

I ask you this question because I'm considering writing a book on Origami and would like it to be a satisfying read/resource. I would like your opinions on thing like: More theory/actual reading ( well researched of course) or more diagrams; More my own diagrams or more of others (topic relative perhaps); How many pages; monotone/colour... Things of that nature. Anything else that you think make an origami book enjoyable would also help :wink:

GO CRAZY! tx
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

That's a very interesting question, here are some points that I consider important:
  • The model index should contain pictures of the finished model. (This unfortunately is not done in many books)
  • The theory should if possible be combined with the diagrams, so that the model(s) is(are) an example for the presented theory.
  • The diagrams have to be two-coloured if the model is folded from two-coloured paper. And if possible the colours used should be suitable for the model. I prefer coloured diagrams to black/white ones. I know that coloured printing is of course a question of cost.
  • Your original models should be prefered except for maybe some traditional designs to present the basics.
  • For the order of the models you have different possibilites:
    • Order by increasing difficulty (as is mostly used in Origami books)
    • Models grouped by theme (if you have different themes in your book)
  • The number of pages isn't really a big issue I think, but more pages means more diagrams :-)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

Speaking of Origami Books, is there any software which would generate the diagrams automatically or we need to draw it or create them in flash or photoshop?? I am really curious how the people do some lovely graphics for their diagrams, in India I have seen a few origami books but the models aren't that great, most of them are copies of traditional models, but the way they present the drawings are amazing, I like Zulal Ayutura Scheele's Book, I have seen only one but its a very clear way of presentation.
regards,
Nikhil.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Unfortunately there is no way I know to create origami diagrams automatically, it would be very nice though.
You can check the following threads about software for diagramming:

viewtopic.php?t=622
viewtopic.php?t=4
viewtopic.php?t=631
viewtopic.php?t=636
viewtopic.php?t=1193
Gerwin
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Grey scale diagrams with clear simple written instructions to accompany.

Show each side of the paper as a different color even in a monocolor model. (This really doesn't make it much more difficult to draw diagrams, plus it makes it easier to follow for the diagrammer as well as the reader).

Diagrams are always a plus.

If you can give useful theory, like that which a typical reader can apply, that's great. If it isn't helpful but merely interesting, cool, but don't rely on it.

Difficulty of the models is also something to take into consideration. Are all or a majority of the models of similar difficulty? or do they show a broad spectrum? Either of these work, (though I prefer all the same, rather complex), but I wouldn't do something like half super-simple, a couple intermediate, and like a third complex. It doesn't feel right....

Unless there's an explicit theme, or it's just a compilation.

Those are just a few things that came to mind.
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

a) Theory? Maybe interesting. If someone would like to solve differencial equations, let read books from Kawasaki or Lang. But standard man would like to fold something new, in my opinion.
b) Prefer please your own models. If you will use model from someone other, which is for example known only as a CP, it will be very creditable work.
c) I do not agree with opinion that books from Zulal Ayutura Scheele are good. Photos do not make good book for folders. Maybe the book is nice but folder, especially beginer, is lost. "Students" in my "class" are very happy with two colours (f.e. black and white) linear diagrams (which are constracted by lines). Photos are not so clear. But photo could help to folder at hard or nonclear place. And of course fullcolour final pictures in gallery are almost duty.
d) As was said: more pages > more interesting and new diagrams.
e) The best quality of drawn diagrams, what I seen before, is diagrams made by hand. This is very hard work and no program exist for this purpose. Only hands, pen and time.
f) Constructing of composition is good idea, of course. You could f.e. construct something poetic - fall evening in the forest: trees, squirrels, birds, mushrooms, grass, nice girl...
I think this is enough.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

clear daigram + many good model.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Ondrej.Cibulka wrote:a) Theory? Maybe interesting. If someone would like to solve differencial equations, let read books from Kawasaki or Lang. But standard man would like to fold something new, in my opinion.
There's much more to theory than differential equations, there's a lot of knowledge that can be applied without any mathematical background and it is this knowledge that enables you to fold something totally new, for example by adding grafts to an existing model to create some more details.
Personally, I prefer experimenting a bit to strictly following instructions, and it's very interesting to get some hints (i.e. theory) on what you can try. :)
Gerwin
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

OK You are right. But it is usefull for you, not for me... in english. #-o
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

I would like to include some tips on techniques in the theory, like how to find ratios, how to fold an accurate grid, tips on figuring out difficult diagrams steps, that kind of thing. Also on the mathematical side I'd include perhaps more algebraic math than analitic, as well as show the tremendous power of triangles in Origami. Among other things.

I'd also like to have a detailed section on tesselations like these
http://www.flickr.com/photos/origamijoel/123971906/
Feel free to browse a bit, PM me if the link goes bad.
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Tjips wrote:I would like to include some tips on techniques in the theory, like how to find ratios, how to fold an accurate grid, tips on figuring out difficult diagrams steps, that kind of thing. Also on the mathematical side I'd include perhaps more algebraic math than analitic, as well as show the tremendous power of triangles in Origami. Among other things.
YES!!
Friet

Post by Friet »

If you're going to write a book about those awesome face tesselations I'll definately buy it!
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

The only thing is that I still have to figure them out. I'm gonna try and contact their designer (origamijoel on flickr) and learn from the master.

My Photos
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

If you want to have a section about Joel's face tesselations I would suggest that you concentrate all of your book on tesselations, rather than mixing it with some other designs (f.e. animals, ...). I'm sure there's more than enough information about tesselations to fill several books with :)

Btw, you should try to get a hand on the latest BOS Magazine, there is a long interview with Joel in there.
Gerwin
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

I would like to focus my book on modular origami, of which tesselations form part (in the fact that they are repeating patterns). This would fit well if I focus some theory on the repeating of shape/forms to make designs.

And about the BOS mag. I am from South Africa and the seclusion coupled with the exchange rate renders me cut off from the rest of the origami world, except here on the forum. (Ideas welcome :D , and sponsers XD)

My Photos