Easy way to fold gusset molecules

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origamiaddict95

Easy way to fold gusset molecules

Post by origamiaddict95 »

Hi all!

I have a question i think many CP folders may have encountered in the early stage and i am one to them.

For me, i will fold out the exact path for the creases before collapsing it into its base. Is there any other alternatives or a faster way to fold gusset molecules that are located somewhere in the middle of the paper because it would be really messy for me. Thanks for those who help me with this problem!

If i get a good answer and succeed with an easier way,I may be able to complete diagram for my canary bird and pass it to anyone who wants it. Please give me a better understanding on how to fold gusset molecules the easier way if there is! Thank you!

Picture of the CP of my Canary Bird

https://scontent-b-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=553A9B55

Picture Of the canary bird
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... c002d49ca2
OrigamiSwan

Re: Easy way to fold gusset molecules

Post by OrigamiSwan »

Personally, I would avoid using gusset molecules altogether and stick with easier techniques than treemaker designing.
There really is no easy way to fold gusset molecules.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I disagree, origamiswan. Gussets come from circle packed design, which preceded treemaker by years. Don't automatically stamp "treemaker" onto a design when it is circle packed, he may very well have designed it with geometry. There isn't one universally easy way to fold them, though. Each sequence is dependant on the model you are folding.

As for folding gussets... in the diagram of my praying mantis there is a pretty good technique for collapsing them without precreases that Shuki drew up for me. I can send it to you if you don't have it. Just PM me your email ;)
Awesome design by the way!
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
topsu

Post by topsu »

I've had the same problem with my Treemaker designs (Not implying that yours is one). I often avoid them, but sometimes a gusset is simply more elegant than breaking up the molecule into triangles. Phillip, any chance of showing or explaining the technique in public?

Fantastic model! I've been experimenting with circle packing lately, mainly with Treemaker, and your bird gives me inspiration.
origamiaddict95

Post by origamiaddict95 »

OrigamiSwan wrote:Personally, I would avoid using gusset molecules altogether and stick with easier techniques than treemaker designing.
There really is no easy way to fold gusset molecules.
@OrigamiSwan i agree with topsu that avoiding gusset completely can sometimes not be very elegant. If i had not used gusset molecules, is would be very difficult to make a clean close bottom model and giving it the 3 d shape becuaw to create a flap that has large area and be able to curve and cover the bottom giving it is stomach is hard.

@Philipcurl Ok Sure!! I hope i can learn more out of this model with his drawing!! :)) I had also made a praying mantis and good thing is it actually did not use any gusset molecules:DD

CP of the praying mantis

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 2246cac1c3

Folded form of my praying mantis

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6ab48813d6

I can give you the reference points if you like for both the diagrams and actually try it out!!
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Alright, here you go. It helps better to fold the model in its entirety to understand what exactly is happening, but this should be enough. Ignore the last two steps.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ZYDw ... sp=sharing

This is at least the easiest way I could figure out for my model in particular - like I said, there isn't "one good way" to fold a gusset, each way is specific to your model. Good luck.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

That's just plain weird,
but I like it.

This thread makes me want to play with Treemaker some more.

The canary is awesome by the way. I wish I could fold / collapse CPs that looked like that.
topsu

Post by topsu »

Thank you very much Phillip! So you stretch the model and let the gusset work itself in the right position. I hadn't thought about this.