Are modular models a women hobby ?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

I noticied several times that there are far more women in modular compared to non-modular things. Am I wrong ?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I don't think that you can generalize that, I know male folders who just love modulars as well as female folders who prefer one-piece models to modulars.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

Yes I know, I'm talking more about a statistics point of view in fact.
saj

Post by saj »

As odd as it may sound, I can see where Alex is going with this; when I was younger I did think that women tended to fold more modular stuff (also reminds me of the lovely ladies that we met at the Leicester convention!)

Saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Strange, I got exactly the different feeling, that the most enthusiastic modular folders are male. I remember an old topic on this Forum about modular Origami (viewtopic.php?p=5520). And also a good friend of mine likes modular Origami more than every other theme in Origami.
On my first Origami Convention, I was very amazed, that most women seem to fold nearly nothing else than boxes, most of them multipiece! I wonder why they do this, if there´s the possibility to fold one piece models instead.
For me modular Origami is as good and as bad as everything else, but if I can choose, I would always fold the single square model (this does not mean, that I don´t ever fold multi-piece models, I fold everything possible, no matter what stage of difficulty or theme,... it has).

Note: There is a difference between multi-piece and modular. In my opinion something is only modular if it has at least 6 pieces that are all equal and are sticking together without glue.
denori

Post by denori »

origami_8 wrote:In my opinion something is only modular if it has at least 6 pieces that are all equal and are sticking together without glue.
I'm not fussy about the number of pieces, but if they are all the same I prefer to call it 'unit', but I actually usually say 'modular'.

I really enjoy unit origami. The two folders I know well in Scotland are also unit fans. And we're all male (and software engineers. Maybe that makes a difference :wink: )

IMHO I suspect that the balance is that slightly more female folders fold units more often but it won't be by much. Unless you include tea-bag folding and then the balance will probably shift dramatically.

Dennis (a Fully Fledged Follower of Fuse!)
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Eh, didn't we just have this discussion a while back? :shock:
viewtopic.php?t=345

Anyway, here's three photos of classes during the OUSA convention two years ago - an intermediate animal class, a modular geometric class, and a one-piece geometric class.

Intermediate animal:
http://www.raviapte.com/gallery/Convent ... nv2004_C03

Horrendously multipiece modular:
http://www.raviapte.com/gallery/Convent ... nv2004_A50

One-piece geometric:
http://www.raviapte.com/gallery/Convent ... 4_A127_128

Draw whatever conclusion you wish from these photos! :D
malachi

Post by malachi »

Alexandre wrote:Yes I know, I'm talking more about a statistics point of view in fact.
I didn't realize you were just trying to stereotype people. I thought you were calling me a girl.
Friet

Post by Friet »

The things I've seen on the internet (pictures of conventions, personal websites etc.) gave me the same impression. I've never actually met anyone who does origami though. (well, my brother can make a crane, but that's it)
Anine

Post by Anine »

And I was taught a multipiece flower by Saj and Vignesh at the Leicester convention. :P
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

And here's another example of a male folder who happens to do a tiny bit of modular folding:
http://members.shaw.ca/gtarigan/overview/index.html
Take a special note of the first pic, where you see Glenn with some of his favorite models :wink:
Gerwin
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

Ok only Friet is on my side ;-)

Interesting comments, I think that I was wrong :)
rockmanex6

Re: Are modular models a women hobby ?

Post by rockmanex6 »

yes :D
Alexandre wrote:Are modular models a women hobby ?
I noticied several times that there are far more women in modular compared to non-modular things.
Last edited by rockmanex6 on May 2nd, 2006, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Hmmm... "yes" to modular models being a women hobby or "yes" to Alexandre being wrong? :roll:
Gerwin
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

Daydreamer wrote:Hmmm... "yes" to modular models being a women hobby or "yes" to Alexandre being wrong? :roll:
Just Yes ! This is the rockmanex6's style.