Precreasing Leg Spurs

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Baltorigamist

Precreasing Leg Spurs

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm talking about the kind of thing Kota Imai's been doing with his beetles lately (the ones folded from the middle of the paper, not the edge). I'm looking to implement the same kind of detail on my models, but I'm not sure about the best way of folding them. So far, there are four main ways I can think of:

1) precreasing each bisector individually--this would almost surely wear out the paper, though.
2) pinching each bisector, as in the air--not very accurate.
3) folding the bisectors as a group--again, would probably wear out the paper.
4) collapse the base and then spread-sink the corners, unsinking each one--difficult to do repeatedly.

So which one is most efficient? Kota doesn't seem to be very responsive to feedback, judging by his Flickr page, and I'd like an answer soon, as I'm working on a model with leg spurs right now.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
kentookura

Re: Precreasing Leg Spurs

Post by kentookura »

Try his twitter: https://twitter.com/tuok3110
He also posts "behind the scenes" stuff, incoplete CPs and work in progresses, maybe you'll find something.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't read or speak Japanese (nor do I have a Twitter, though I could always get one), but I might be able to learn more about design by studying the CPs there. ^^

And I've pretty much decided to go with option 3 stated above. If I can figure out the elevation changes in another area, the model should be done this week.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

I can inform you about what I tried and whether it worked when I try your stag beetle :D This is one of the things I'm really looking forward to, I want to see if it's really worth the pain :)
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I finished the model in question (a Lucanus pulchellus) about a month ago, using method 3 above, and it went really smoothly. There were only a couple major things that I noticed:

1) It's more difficult to collapse the appendages that have spurs because the flaps need to be opened out in order to squash the molecules.
2) The flaps are very hard to shape nicely unless the spur molecules are along the outside of the appendage. This requires outside-reverse-folding the flaps, which restricts the maneuverability and shaping slightly (i.e., the flaps need to be folded upward along the axis, which affects the appearance of their position on the model).
3) The extra layers from the interior of the paper make it hard to narrow the flaps. Then again, insects with leg spurs rarely have thin legs, so this isn't that big of an issue.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

I can't seem to bookmark the threads I want to follow .Hence the comment.
Lately I've noticed more folders are designing with less haste and more attention to details that make the finished subject look more professional and also challenges the competition .
Instagram,Flickr Reddit ,and twitter even Facebook all are doing insect models with spikes.Damian Malicki has a sun beetle with two c.ps one 32* and the other 36* he does respond to test fold queries good luck