Glue, Wetfolding, Tissue Foil and Purism

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origami_8
Administrator

Glue, Wetfolding, Tissue Foil and Purism

Post by origami_8 »

I splitted this topic from another one.
To avoid confusion, in the first few posts (including this one) some people speak about "him", he is Satoshi Kamiya.
Nick wrote:he's happy to use glue to keep layers together
:shock:
I wouldn´t have expected that, shocking, indeed!
Last edited by origami_8 on August 16th, 2007, 1:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kaimon

Post by Kaimon »

yes, that´s right...
for the cicada for example he used glue...it always stands a small tube of white glue on his desk.
then he waters down the glue a little bit and takes a small brush to spread it on the insides of legs and other parts of the model that are difficult to make looking naturally or realistic...
is this a big disappointment for you?^^
Friet

Post by Friet »

I do the same thing, actually. Since most of Satoshi's models (if not all) have an open belly, I'll use glue to keep the model flat and to keep the legs from spreading. To me it's a waste to spend many hours folding a model that won't stay the way I folded it.

Another way to do it would be to wet-fold I suppose, but I don't have good paper for that. And when you think of it in terms of purity, what's the difference between wetfolding and adding glue afterwards anyway? In wetfolding you'll just re-use the glueish stuff (sizing?) in the paper by making it wet and letting it dry in the right shape, instead of adding some glue of your own.
Last edited by Friet on April 27th, 2006, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, it is a big disappointment, I would never use glue and I also don´t fold wet because it feels to me like betraying myself if I would do that. Also I don´t like to use something else than a piece of paper (preferably a square one) and my hands while folding. I know, that these are my own puristic rules and that nobody has to feel the same, but for me a cutted or glued model isn´t Origami anymore also if it may look impressing.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 16th, 2007, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
David

Sniffing around the question of glue

Post by David »

I don't have a problem with using glue to hold layers, I cannot see why it is any different to using a tissue/foil paper to "mould".

One of the greatest origami masterpieces is Joisel's rat- I tend to use quite heavy paper to get the expression, it's open belly does not stay locked, I use glue.

I prefer for the model to stay shut on it's own, and also prefer the less layered models and sometimes fundamentalists may need to get out more and discover the joys of a glue stick :wink:

Another expression to describe a Devil's advocate is "To put the cat among the pidgeons"

David :twisted:
Kaimon

Post by Kaimon »

well, i would(!) use glue, too...
but i only approve this, if the only task of the glue is to make the model look better than without.
if you really "need" glue to get a model of an acceptable quality i´d decline that way of folding with that device...
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Using methylcellulose, wheat starch and other goopy, gluey stuff is becoming increasingly popular. So yeah, purists are going to have to close their eyes more often whenever they attend exhibitions. Anytime you see a model with something long, thin and pointy, chances are that it's been tainted by some form of adhesive. :shock:

Robert Lang's argument is the best - it's not cheating if you still can unfold the model afterwards! :D
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Re: Sniffing around the question of glue

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

David wrote:I don't have a problem with using glue to hold layers, I cannot see why it is any different to using a tissue/foil paper to "mould".
In one case you are creating the square you want to fold.
In the other example glue is used not to create the square, but to help create the model itself, instead of only folding.

Once you have your folding material, all you should need to do is fold.
If a model isn't designed to allow that, then maybe the problem is with the design.
For me glue, staples, permanent paper clips, cutting, etc...is taboo once I've begun folding, but that is just me.
To each their own in art.
Friet

Post by Friet »

How do you feel about using tissue foil then? Technically, it's not even paper.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Technically it is paper, just not all of it.
Same with brand name origami papers such as foil paper.
But then there are the "origami" papers in craft shops made from a variety of plastics as well.

So my question is where do you draw the defining line for "paper" in origami?
My answer would be that the medium (material) can be anything you are comfortable folding with.

As for tissue foil, I like using it, but not to sculpt, "mould", or moosh into a shape. I prefer intentional creases.
But, there is too much to contend with in making it, so I am slowly trying to search for other alternatives.
Friet

Post by Friet »

Well the way I see it by making tissue foil you're adding foil to your paper for the purpose of being able to shape it better. The legs of an open-belly model wouldn't spread because there's metal foil holding them in place. The fact that this metal foil is glued to the paper doesn't make it one piece of paper. In my opinion, the only difference in using metal foil to keep your models in shape and using glue is that you can glue the metal foil to your paper before the folding process starts, while the glue would be applied after folding. Also, with the glue you would only be able to keep layers from separating (like the legs separating from the body), as opposed to using metal foil to be able to shape the the entire model.

I'm just saying that IF I thought folding with a piece of paper and nothing else was the only way to fold "purely", I wouldn't consider wetfolding and using tissue foil to be pure folding either. I have no problems with these methods, although if I can fold a model without using them I'd prefer to do that ofcourse.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

I agree a purist wouldnt use either. im not a purist in this sense, but maybe so far as that if I start to fold something, that is all I do, fold it. (Although one day I hope to try wetfolding)

the difference in using tissue foil and glueing a model during and after still seems vast to me.
The whole appeal of origami is that whatever we start with, the finished work is accomplished by one thing, folding.

In the store I don't see "origami paper" with a bottle of glue in it to add later, but I do see foil paper.
Making larger squares of foil paper at home is a large step from taking the finished product and altering it.
To me, glueing the model is closer to drawing a face on the head of a model or making plastic model cars that need glue and paint. We are folding something into something. Anything else, is something else.

edited for spelling
Last edited by thedeadsmellbad on April 28th, 2006, 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I totally agree with you Matthew!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

What about treating a model with goop after folding? Like, perhaps Hojyo Takashi's Shibaraku?

http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~origami/shasin/ ... shiba1.htm
Last edited by wolf on April 28th, 2006, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

I think gooping (hardening) a model is a whole other artform unto itself :)