Glue, Wetfolding, Tissue Foil and Purism

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Is there any relation between the bottomless abyss of darkness and the bottomless pits of hell where you are at the moment? Maybe you should rather put those books back on the earthly bookshelf where they are far away from you! :wink:
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

The bottomless abyss of darkness (BAD) and the bottomless pits of hell (BPH) are completely different. In BAD, there is no light and people tend to bump into each other. It's mostly inhabited by oversized stuffed animals like Winnie the Pooh and Barney the dinosaur. Video game nerds and lawyers also dwell there because it protects them from the scorching rays of the sun.
The BPH however, is really bright because of the flames everywhere. The inhabitants here are mostly naked people being tortured by demons and prodded with pitchforks while being forced to watch 20 year long real time videos about "The Growth of the Magnificent Oak Tree" which by the way, plays in loops.

See the difference?
Last edited by angrydemon on April 11th, 2008, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Haha-remember that that bottomless abyss from whence it came is also from whence all the other origami books come too :P . Now if you're really a purist, maybe you should look into buying only books with no glue or cuts used in their manufacturing. I would like to see that one XD.

But in all seriousness, I am semi-fine if cuts and glue are used, depending on the context/extremity of the "offense." If someone cuts a flap in half to get another point or add to the model in some way like that, sure. That is not my style at all, but if it makes the finished product look better then go for it (you may not want to call it all origami though, since you added cuts to the formula...).

Glue is used in all wet-folding. Sometimes it is in the paper already, sometimes it is added to the paper before folding, and sometimes it is added during/after folding. It is essentially the same thing, though. Glue (sizing/MC) doesn't make the model impure IMO, as long as it isn't used for something like holding modulars together or as a necessary step. Sure, glue alters the properties of the paper. But it is a necessary (ok, maybe not entirely necessary, but pretty much so) component of any paper, and wet-folding with it is not impure in my eyes. Gluing on googly eyes, on the other hand...and let's not even mention tape (although I use it for my test pieces, I'll admit :lol: )
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Ok, now I get it!!! How could I have missed that?!?! :lol:
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

HA! I posted 1 minute before you, Jonnycakes! About using tape, all my models require a lot of creasing and it puts a lot of stress on the paper. So, I have a roll of tape next to me for whenever the paper tears. When I fold with foil paper, I usually end up with models that are 30% plastic.
My Flickr
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

If my model tears, I'll use a bit of clear tape on the inside so I can continue folding. My models usually rip only when I'm designing/playing with the paper a lot so the paper has been overly weakened.
My super growing flickr gallary- Check it out!
_Insert witty signature here_
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

angrydemon wrote:When I fold with foil paper, I usually end up with models that are 30% plastic.
True that!
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

I am usually folding outside any "workshop", for example in the tram, so I need as little as possible of tools. So I am using tweezers. And sometimes small folding scissors. I cannot use special materials even at home, because my son everything tousled. :lol:
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

angrydemon wrote:HA! I posted 1 minute before you, Jonnycakes! About using tape, all my models require a lot of creasing and it puts a lot of stress on the paper. So, I have a roll of tape next to me for whenever the paper tears. When I fold with foil paper, I usually end up with models that are 30% plastic.
XD don't you love it when that happens? I do the same thing with tape, by the way-those middle flaps from Japanese foil don't hold up too well.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

Whenever I fold Lang's mantis (from Origami Insects and their Kin) with foil paper, there is a 100% chance that the head will tear open, and no amount of tape could possibly fix it. I have never succesfully folded it before, but I think tissue foil will probably work since it's so strong. By the way the diagrams are available online if you really want to give yourself some extra stress.
My Flickr
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Yeah, those middle point splits are crazy hard to do without the paper tearing. I only managed to do it with large enough paper and lots of practice (not the mantis, but the point split which is the same as in the mantis head). Even then the paper sometimes tore (kami, but still...).