CP Sperda Scalaris..

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
white_angel_of_origamiVOG

CP Sperda Scalaris..

Post by white_angel_of_origamiVOG »

Sperda Scalaris.. full
Size A3 paper thin

demo
im.xing

Re: CP Sperda Scalaris..

Post by im.xing »

Both are wonderful models friend. But can u give a hint to collapse the CP of Sperda Scalaris? I don't understand the method to get the exact base.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

The base is a frog base with grafting on every side. So divide the paper half for the grafting and half for an inner square in which you will have the frog base and you are done
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Actually, that's not quite true.
The design is based on 34ths with a 9 unit graft all around and an 16 unit square in the middle. But I guess you could achieve almost the same result with 32nds and a 8 unit graft (which would be much easier to fold the way Brimstone suggested), i.e. leaving out the outermost strip of the CP.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
im.xing

Post by im.xing »

Can you help me with the base Daydreamer?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I'll see what I can do.... here are some pictures of the (hopefully correctly) collapsed base:
I'm quite sure about the regions I noted (but not quite). As you see you have quite a few extra flaps which don't seem to be used so you'll have to hide them away somehow. You can tuck some of them inside the model like the small triangles of a frogbase.

The 9th strip of the graft actually gives you colour-changed legs and antennae if you fold from dual-paper, and they also are slightly longer (but not significantly), so it's up to you if you prefer colour-changed legs or easier pre-creasing.

You should use thin, preferably foil paper for this model.... with the copy paper I used I probably won't be able to come up with anything looking remotely like an insect.

Hope that helped a bit :-)
Gerwin
im.xing

Post by im.xing »

wow! thank you very much Gerwin.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I've actually managed to turn the collapsed base into something almost presentable:

Of course with copy paper (about 20cm x 20cm) I didn't manage to get the legs any thinner than that and also there would have been a lot of shaping necessary to make it look more lifelike so.... next time (if there is one) I'll use foil :-)
Gerwin
white_angel_of_origamiVOG

Post by white_angel_of_origamiVOG »

You fold acuracy CP....I will Post base next...
im.xing

Post by im.xing »

wow. i have been waiting for your reply white_angel_of_origamiVOG. please tell me whether there is any trick to pull out the legs?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Something I noticed today after folding the base was something unusual. The first crease next to the border of the paper is a valley fold. There are no rules against this in origami but it is not usual. The only problem with this would be if you have two colred paper otherwise there is no reason not to use it.

Still struggling trying to turn the bae into the final model
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

That's what I meant earlier about the 9th strip in the graft, you will get colour-changed legs and antennae because of it.
Gerwin
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

The CP is very well drawn and the author included some creases that are susually left out by many CP authors.

It has a clever way of folding an important part "up" so you can accomodate the rest of the paper from that flap.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Mine is not as nice as the author's but with some work it could be presentable Image