Virtual origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Cadix

Virtual origami

Post by Cadix »

I'm working on a prototype program to semi-automatically animate crease patterns collapsing. So far, I've been able to get

I'm manually animating a few polygons in the crease pattern and finding the rest of the positions by trilateration and some tentative heuristics.

If any one is interested in this exploratory side project, please feel free to let me know. I'd love to have some company to throw ideas around or even do some coding.

Right now my prototype is in Mathematica, but I'm aiming the folding engine at something cross platform (Python, probably). I have some stretch goals as well (some of which relate to http://www.linkless.org/diamond-base/), but those are in the distant future and assumes everything goes reasonably smoothly.

Reply in this thread and PM me or hit me up at samplesizeofone at gmail.com if you like.
EVERYTHING MUST BE MADE OF PAPER!
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Re: Virtual origami

Post by origamipete »

this sure looks awesome, but I am a programming noob... :( sorry!
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

origamipete wrote:this sure looks awesome, but I am a programming noob... :( sorry!
I'm also interested in ideas for how to collapse a crease pattern (or possibly fold a model) with partial input from a human. If you've got any, please let me know :-) In the long run, it would also be useful to get some ideas on user interface, but I'm not there yet.

Anyway, if you're interested in kicking around ideas, still do let me know!
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

if something pops up in my mind, I'll let you know for sure.

There are people who can code on the forum and who have worked on diagramming softwares, they might be able to help you more than me, hopefully they notice this thread.
Dj origami

Post by Dj origami »

It looks so great so far!
I'm interested in this field as well, however I have just started exploring the world of programming...

You should take a look at Tomohiro Tachi's work: http://www.tsg.ne.jp/TT/, he has been working on similar problems, and he has written several articles about them.
As for collapsing the creasepatterns I think the program should first check if the CP is flat foldable or not, this includes developing algorithms based on foldability theorems( Kawasaki's, Maekawa's...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathemati ... er_folding

Hope this helps a bit. :)
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

Dj origami wrote:It looks so great so far!
I'm interested in this field as well, however I have just started exploring the world of programming...
Thanks for the links!

I'm less interested in determining the final folded shape of a crease pattern than animating its collapse with some human guidance. If my program makes it easy for a person to animate a crease pattern collapsing, I'll be very happy. Of course it'd be great to animate a full folding sequence for a model, but right now I'm focused on crease patterns where all parts collapse more or less simultaneously. I'm also not considering self-intersection (I'm leaving that up to the person to work around for now).

Drop me a note if you're interested in chatting about this sort of thing now and again :-)
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I honestly know next to nothing about programming, but (as others have said) this concept seems really cool. Good luck with it.

I think it could help a lot of people who have trouble with certain steps or sections of a model--all you'd have to do is animate the collapse of that particular part, and they could download it and see a 3D render of the model.
Granted, that could be a lot of work. But it would work really well in theory, and there are applications for it in the real world as well, if I'm not mistaken.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr