Changing Pleat "Units"?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Lephantome92

Changing Pleat "Units"?

Post by Lephantome92 »

I'm working on designing a different pangolin, and it requires for me to change pleat sizes frequently, going up different numbers of divisions/units. I've figured out a simple way to double units along a binary fashion (1->2, 2->4, etc.), but I've yet to figure out how to go from 2->3. Does anyone have experience with changing the sizes of pleats that can offer any advice? If possible, I'm looking for a way to go 2->3 and later back.
Baltorigamist

Re: Changing Pleat "Units"?

Post by Baltorigamist »

There are a couple ways to go from 2 units to 3.

First, create a 1-unit "divot" between two units (so the center valley crease is at ax+1). Then, if you have a pleat across the model, you can go to 3 units in the same way as 1 > 2.
Or you can create a diagonal 2x1 rectangle across the pleats. Here's an example: http://oi64.tinypic.com/bgeaeo.jpg

I use method 2 whenever I run into an elevation problem, but either will work.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

*rereads OP* Thank you for your suggestion, it helped me to come to a (clumsy) solution. I forgot to mention in better detail how I want the pleats to go, for which I'm sorry. I want to have (in units) 2<2>4<2>4, etc., then go to 3<3>6<3>6, and so forth. Do you know of a way to achieve that? I tried implementing what you suggested in the whole tessellation, but it didn't work very well for having a <3
EDIT: Major detail I can't believe I left out: I want what will eventually be overlapping pleats of the same increment at 90 degrees to it, akin to the scales on Ryu Jin. Also, as far as the transitions, it's going to end up something like >1<1>2<1>2...<1>1-transition I have->2<2>4...<2>2-"clean" transition needed->3<3>6...<3>3-"clean" transition needed->2<2>4...<2>2-transition I have->1<1>2...<1>1
EDIT 2: When I have time, I'll diagram and upload the current clumsy transition I have
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm still a little confused by your numbering system. Are those the widths in one layer of paper, or are they full axial+ pleats (i.e. doubled up)?

In any case, changing any more than 1>3 (for full pleats) takes up at least two crosswise pleats of one unit or more.
For 2>4>2>4, you'd be better off just using ax+2 pleats (and cross pleats) throughout that section of the model; likewise ax+3pleats for 3>6>3. This is all assuming you're talking about full ax+ pleats, though.

You'll also probably want to have equal-length gaps between the pleats to give your model some length. Is that what you meant when you used < instead of >?

I'm curious to see what you have so far, since that will make it a lot easier for me (and anyone else) to help you.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

Apologies for taking a long time. Here's a CP of the transition and a little beyond to give an idea of what I'm looking to clean up:
With reference lines:
Without reference lines:
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Unfortunately, I don't know if there's a better way to do that without resorting to other molecules (such as trapezoids).
If I have time this week, maybe I can experiment with different possibilities.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr