Wanting to get back into origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Hamiero

Wanting to get back into origami

Post by Hamiero »

I want to start doing origami again after a few years of not touching it.

I still have all my books but I completely forgot where/which paper to buy.

So which paper do I buy and where do I buy it?

I have some left over but it's not the greatest.
Augustus Agamemnon

Re: Wanting to get back into origami

Post by Augustus Agamemnon »

You could buy paper on origami shop. The type of paper that you would use would depend on what design you are going to fold.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

If you live in the US, I'd recommend buying paper from Blicks. Maybe try buying some MC and making double tissue or tissue foil, or even using some normal origami paper (kami) just to get some practice
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

Mulberry Papers and More is a good online source for large unryu type tissue. Doubled up using MC, it can be used for virtually any model out there.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

if you're looking to get back into intermediate-complex models, a la maekawa or montroll, then the ordinary kami you find in local craft stores will do.

if however, you want to do super complex stuff, then i would second phillip's suggestion with learning to make double tissue. i would only add that it seems to me that dick blick gets satinwrap tissue (just the way they sell it, which is the same way satinwrap sells their packages: mini packs of 24 sheets, or entire reams of 480), and i think one is better off buying this from papermart.com, only because they have nearly the entire assortment of colors (whereas dickblick seems limited).

alternatively, satinwrap sells an assortment pack of its most popular colors with 480 sheets with 20 different colors. amazon is one place where you can get this.

i also want to add, only fairly recently getting into using mc, that unryu is my least favorite of the high end papers. the way large fibers occasionally get in the way is a dealbreaker, imho.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

I personally disagree on unryu. Double unryu is probably my favorite paper. The long fibers are what makes it so strong and hard to accidentally rip. Once in a while there is a really large hard fiber that you have to deal with, but I have never had in where it was so bad that it prevented me from making a fold that was required. I've folded all but two or three of the models from Kamiya's first book using double unryu.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i didn't say unryu was bad, just that it is the least favorite of the "high end" papers.

part of this is a cost-effective analysis. to make the discussion easier, ignore shipping costs for the time being.

if you are using double-unryu, as you are, from say, mulberry paper, that runs you ~ $6.38. also, the combined result will be ~ 50 gsm. at this large size, it shouldn't be a huge problem, but you may have problems achieving a desired thinness (tbh i was using unryu in single sheets). for instance, the ancient dragon in your photostream looks fine, but if you want to achieve thinner legs you will need something less than 50 gsm.

when making double tissue from satin-wrap, the cost is $0.22 . it's true that the max size is ~ 50 cm, but if i join two sheets of double tissue, i can get a 75 cm starting square. the cost is a measly $0.44, and the range of colors is much broader than unryu, actually.

if double tissue is not your thing, you can get korean hanji from hiromi.com for $5/sheet, and after some sizing, it can be folded without doubling up.