Ticker Tape origami sphere

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
minicooperguy02

Ticker Tape origami sphere

Post by minicooperguy02 »

Has n e one ever heard of paper folding with ticker tape? I am trying to make the sphere on this page....

http://home.tiscali.nl/gerard.paula/ori ... ere94.html

I understand the diagram and the structure of the sphere, but i cannot seem to find where to purchase a long roll of ticker tape (about 15mm in width)

If there is any one who has ever folded with ticker tape and/or knows where it find it on the internet PLEASE let me know!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I don´t know how to explain this correctly, but I usually fold such models with the long paperstripes that you blow out on carnival or sometimes on birthdays. You can buy them nearly everywhere and they come in nice colours and patterns. You only have to keep sure that you take some that are coloured on both sides and that the quality isn´t too poor.
I also remember that I read some time ago, that http://viereck-verlag.de/papier/extras.html is selling ticker tape (the last item on the page).
Last edited by origami_8 on May 12th, 2006, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Party ribbons?

If you have good fingers, you can try gift wrap ribbons - about 5 mm wide, but I'll expect you can find others.
minicooperguy02

That site is still carrying ticker tape, but i dont read german and they don't do online orders...... Very inconvenient
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

If color isn't an issue you can try the paper they use in shoppingmarket tills. It works nicely.
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
minicooperguy02

What are shoppingmarket tills??? and what is the width on the paper that is used in them???
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

A till is a cash register, the width of the rolls can vary but should be about 4cm. You should be able to get those rolls rather cheap in stationery shops.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, but for the Sphere94 model I wouldn´t recommend to use them. The paper is far too thin and much to wide to be any useful. For this model you can take rather thick paper and maybe plastik ribbons will work too. And I wouldn´t use a paper larger than 1cm in width, maybe less (I folded it twice, each time from 0,5cm paper and it came out very nice).
Wolf wrote:Party ribbons?
The word sounds good, I haven´t found it in my dictionary, but I think that´s what I´m talking about :)
chapbell

Calculator rolls

Post by chapbell »

I successfully knotted up some paper I got at the local office supply shop, the rolls of paper that are used in printing calculators - the non-thermal kind. I suspect this paper is also used in cash registers.

To get it to the right width, I cut off a yard or two, folded in half on the long axis and then cut it with an envelope opener I bought at last year's OrigamiUSA Convention. Marvelous invention, that.
http://origami.oschene.com
Open Source Origami
It isn't origami till you share it.
esato

Re: Calculator rolls

Post by esato »

chapbell wrote:To get it to the right width, I cut off a yard or two, folded in half on the long axis and then cut it with an envelope opener I bought at last year's OrigamiUSA Convention. Marvelous invention, that.
Wouldn't a cutting knife work just as well?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Of course a cutting knife works as well, but you would need a very long straight edge to guide the knife all the way across.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
minicooperguy02

ORIGAMI_8

You said you folded it twice ???? did you cut the paper yourself or did you buy it in a roll that was already thin in width? What exactly did you use?? would party ribbon fold nicely??

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions......
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

minicooperguy02 wrote:you folded it twice?
Yes.
minicooperguy02 wrote:did you buy it in a roll that was already thin in width?
Party Ribbons are usually 0,5 or 1 cm wide and a few meters long. The quality varies a lot. Mostly the ones that are coloured on both sides have the better quality than those only coloured on one side. I also like to fold with the thinner ones more than with the broad ones. Just look around what you can get. The thicker the paper the better the outcome will be.

After folding the sphere you can take the rest of your ribbons to fold lots and lots of flexicubes, but beware you could get addicted ;)
CMSeter

Post by CMSeter »

I think the word you're looking for is "streamer", not party ribbon ;)

/Peter