Permission for Commercial Use of Patterns

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Bronski

Permission for Commercial Use of Patterns

Post by Bronski »

Good morning, everyone,
I have joined the forum as this seems to be a well informed place to be in terms of all things paper folding.
Years ago I made some origami jewellery for personal use. What I used were sonobe units, Kawasaki roses and Adolfo Cerceda's peacock. I also embellished these using a leaf pattern from a Dutch origami book I found when I was younger (origami breaks all language barriers!) and lucky stars.
I have recently been offered the chance to sell some pieces at a local craft and vintage market, which is really exciting and is my absolute dream come true, I've always wanted to sell crafts (origami is one of many I do, though will always be my first love!) I really want to do it right and make sure I get the right permission.
According to Wiki the origin of the sonobe module is unknown, though there are two artists that are possibilities. Is this definitely the case?
Next question is what's the best way to get hold of Kawasaki for permission to use his rose? The leaves I use with this are by Zülal Aytüre-Scheele, I would need to contact them too.
And finally, the book I have with Cerceda's peacock in refers to him as "the late" Adolfo Cerceda. How would I get in touch with his estate to get permission if he has passed on?
Just to say too that at the moment l would only be looking to make 15-20 pieces to sell at this market, but I would love to be able to extend it out.
Hope this all makes sense. Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any advice.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Permission for Commercial Use of Patterns

Post by origami_8 »

You might be interested in contacting the OAC regarding these questions:
http://digitalorigami.com/oac/#
They could know at least some of the answers.