book recommendations

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Nanner70

book recommendations

Post by Nanner70 »

I'm looking for book suggestions. I would say I am an intermediate at origami- I did alot as a child and recently started up again. I'd like to get much, much better, but find myself frustrated occassionally when I try something too hard too soon. I'm hoping there is a book out there that can help with some kind of progression- so that I'm not trying things too far above my current skill level, but gives me the skills i need to try the next level. Is there anything like that? Money is very tight, and I truely can't afford to make a mistake in choosing a book.
I'm also looking for recommendations for books on tesselations, again on a budget.

TIA!
Baltorigamist

Re: book recommendations

Post by Baltorigamist »

Look into John Montroll's books, specifically the ones on animals. Many of his designs are low- to high-intermediate, and a few range into complex.
As far as tessellations, Eric Gjerde has a great book where he covers everything from the basics to some pretty advanced tessellation work. (It's called Origami Tessellations: Awe-Inspiring Geometric Designs if memory serves.)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Safari Origami by Lionel Albertino. Book is divided by difficulty. It has some great animal designs and it is legally available for free on origami-shop.com
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

Nothing wrong with the previous suggestions but IMHO the best book for you would be Genuine Origami. It starts with quite simple models and progresses through intermediate to advanced (but I would say no super complex). The simple models are all delightful in their own right and gave me a lot of satisfaction even though my personal preference is for more complex models. The book includes a good amount of supporting text on the design process as well. All the models can be folded from plain Kami paper, although some of the advanced ones need larger than the common 15 cm square.

This is the book I would recommend to any beginner or someone who has been folding for a few months
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

I got a lot of mileage out of Jeremy Shafer's "Origami to Astonish and Amuse" when I was in high school, and Amazon has some very cheap used copies. But if you've mostly only folded traditional models, you may not be ready for that yet-- same goes for Maekawa's "Genuine Origami"; it's excellent but gets complex pretty quick.

Kasahara and Montroll tend to be a little more moderate. "Origami Omnibus" is a huge book by Kasahara which is easy to find cheap used copies of. There are a whole lot of decent Montroll books, my favorites are "North American Animals in Origami" and "Origami Sea Life", but I got a chance to test-fold some new dog designs for an upcoming book and they were excellent! so I'm very much looking forward to that :)