Design. How to shape a fold?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
racerpenny

Design. How to shape a fold?

Post by racerpenny »

This might be a pretty obscure question. I have been noodling with box pleating and the tree method, and so I think I'm getting clear on how to make a base with say 6 flaps for a dog or 8 flaps for I don't ...octopus? ha ha. But then I get lost in the art of how to shape a flap. How to take 3 triangular pieces of paper, flaps, and turn it into a head with ears. Just wondering if there are any resources out there, YouTube etc., that demonstrate some shaping ideas. Thanks.
noneuclidean

Re: Design. How to shape a fold?

Post by noneuclidean »

First of all, this is in the wrong section. It should probably be in General Origami Talk. Secondly, shaping flaps is something you'll pick up after folding a bunch of other people's models. Just keeping practicing and eventually it will click.
Last edited by origami_8 on February 11th, 2017, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderator Comment: Thanks for the hint, I moved the topic to the right section.
noneuclidean

Post by noneuclidean »

Also, I read from from your post history that you're new. You should really get yourself a copy of Genuine Origami by Jun Maekawa. It's a really great book with the models starting simple and progressing in difficulty until you can fold the devil in the cover!
racerpenny

Post by racerpenny »

Thank you, noneuclidean. That looks like a perfect book, plus it seems reasonably priced.
Metangas

Post by Metangas »

I am slightly biased since this is my favourite book in general, but I very highly would recommend Origami Essence by Roman Diaz. This book also starts simple and gets more complex and includes bits about design and wet-folding. I have several of the models in this book from simple to high-intermediate memorised, because they are both fun to fold and very charming. That said, I have a Maekawa model or two memorised too - I'd happily recommend both ;)
Poor student passing by!
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

Fold as many diagrams as possible.

That is the best way to figure out the steps between base and finished model.