Origami and dyslexia

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
David

Origami and dyslexia

Post by David »

Does anyone on the list have any experience with dyslexia (it is word blindness) and origami ?

I have a cousin who is very dyslexic, however he can follow diagrams, just can't work out the words.

My cousin is the first person I have every met that is accutely dyslexic it is unlikely he will ever be able to read, but he is very bright indeed- in about an hour we had made three models- and his results very well folded.
In the first thing we did, he commented that we would need to take into account the thickness of the paper to get a good result!

I am sending him a copy of Origami Step by Step (Biddle) and a supply of Muji paper. I will be Interested to see how he gets on.

I know there are some really good jokes out there, but I am hoping this can remain a serious topic :twisted:

Thanks
David
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

chapbell

Origami and dyslexia

Post by chapbell »

Dyslexia is a broad term that covers a lot of different differences. It is also an entirely artificial disability, one caused by social demands changing over time. Many dyslexics will not cop to it, there being a heavy social stigma associated with the word.

That said, yes, I do know of dyslexics who fold. I know of one who creates and diagrams.
http://origami.oschene.com
Open Source Origami
It isn't origami till you share it.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

it may be connected to the heavyness (term?) of the hindrance. some dyslexics may be able to fold, and some other not. dyslexia is not like black and white...