Models for kids

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Models for kids

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Hi!

I probably should have posted this earlier, because I will need some models and their diagrams by tomorrow evening.

Anyways, my friend and I will be volunteering at our old elementary school's cultural fair. We were asked to manage an origami table, presumably for the Japan section (I don't really know). The kids will be from ages 5 to 10. I'm assuming that we would print out some instructions and provide some 6 inch kami, and help the kids if they get stuck. It's not a class, but it's not quite DIY either.

I'll have a crane for sure, and maybe some other traditional models like the frog or box. What else do you recommend we do? I'll need free diagrams as well (which shouldn't be a huge problem).
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Re: Models for kids

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I ended up using traditional crane, frog, lily, and rabbit. There were a few kids who were able to do the crane and rabbit pretty easily, but everybody struggled to fold a frog base for the frog and lily. I hope this little insight can help somebody in the future.
bethnor
Buddha

Re: Models for kids

Post by bethnor »

in general, for kids, traditional origami is what is best. anything more than that is way too much. even a giang dinh model can be a handful.