English bus by Max Hulme ??

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Alexandre

English bus by Max Hulme ??

Post by Alexandre »

I heard that Max Hulme designed an amazing origami english double-decker bus.

Anybody got informations about it ?
David

Post by David »

No but do you know about his Steam Traction Engine?

Max are you on this list?

I will ask him very nicely about posting the "diagrams" for the traction engine if anyone is interested?
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

i am
Brendan
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Me too...
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

David wrote:...if anyone is interested?
You shouldn't ask that question.... nobody would say no to diagrams for free :-P
(all those diagram-greedy origami freaks :roll: )
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

The diagrams for Max Hulme's Omnibus are in the BOS Library, but they are fairly rough and difficult to follow. It starts from a long rectangle and has two levels with all the seats on the upper level. I tried it once and got a reasonable result, although I had to fudge the spiral staircase at the back. Paul Jackson had a properly made one on display at one of his London exhibitions years ago, so it must be possible.

It's a magnificent piece of engineering and still very challenging even compared with some of today's super-complex stuff.
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

well then im definately not gonna be able to fold it but im willing to try anything
Brendan
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

Many thanks, Edwin
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

oh wait forget my last post i thought edwin post about the engine which i wanted the diagrams for not bus
Brendan
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

The Traction Engine was re-diagrammed very clearly by Dave Venables and Mick Guy (one or both, I'm not sure). It's not a particularly easy model, but it's easier than the Omnibus.

Unfortunately very few of Max Hulme's old models have been diagrammed in a way that makes them accessible to us mortal folders. It would be nice if the BOS could do a full collection for posterity, even if it's only the rough diagrams (like the Elias books), otherwise a lot of superb origami will be lost.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Would it be possible to post pictures of the bus and the engine? I don´t know these models, but it seems that they are well worth a look.
David

Post by David »

Edwin Corrie wrote:The Traction Engine was re-diagrammed very clearly by Dave Venables and Mick Guy (one or both, I'm not sure). It's not a particularly easy model, but it's easier than the Omnibus.

Unfortunately very few of Max Hulme's old models have been diagrammed in a way that makes them accessible to us mortal folders.
There is the BOS booklet( No 15) of some of his works including Stephensens Rocket. And his train set in booklet BOB01 ( may be out of print)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

David wrote:his train set in booklet BOB01 ( may be out of print)
Since I bought it at the last BOS-Convention, I don´t think that it is out of print...
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

Train set booklet? Is this new? It doesn't seem to be on the BOS website. I've obviously missed something there.

The Traction Engine diagrams first appeared in the BOS magazine, No. 57 (1976), and later in an Italian compilation of BOS models which is now out of print. Stephenson's Rocket is also in one of Paul Jackson's book (Encyclopedia of Origami and Papercraft).
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

First published in March 2003, 8 pages, including Bogie, Coupling, Goods Wagon/Coach, Open Wagon, Container Wagon, Flat Wagon, Mineral Wagon, Tanker Wagon, Double Bogie Flat Wagon and Steam Locomotive.

What I find intersting is the fact, that the diagrams are dated with 22nd June 2003 while the small text in the beginning says that the booklet was first published in March 2003.