What to buy?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Folderp

What to buy?

Post by Folderp »

I'm going to buy some origami stuff when I get enough money. However, what should I buy? I want books of complex skill level preferably with at least one supercomplex model. What are the best books for that (I already have WOSK, ODS2 and Nature Study)? I'm currently thinking of getting tanteidan convention 21 and Origami Masters Bugs. And can anyone recommend/not recommend the paper pack for origami nature study?
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
origami_8
Administrator

Re: What to buy?

Post by origami_8 »

You definitely can't go wrong with any of the Tanteidan convention books. They have varying difficulty but almost all of them got really nice and complex models inside. (Best source with picture index of all the available ones is http://www.origamihouse.jp/book/original/house.html.)

A small but great little book is the Raison d'etre 2014.

Alas I'm aware that you'd like the hardest stuff of all time I would like to also recommend you some stuff that's fun to fold. There are three authors who have really fun flowing folding sequences while still providing rather complex models. These are Hideo Komatsu, Roman Diaz and Gen Hagiwara.

Complex in another area, namely colour changes is the Papirolandia series by Fernando Gilgado.

And finally a book that I'd recommend to everyone is Origami to Astonish and Amuse by Jeremy Shafer.

It seems to be no longer available but the book Passion Origami by Nicolas Terry is also a real gem with good complex models.
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

In the index of Hideo Komatsu's book, it looks like the lion takes up 23 pages, but it doesn't look that complex. Is that right? How complex is it?
My flickr
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

It depends on how you define complexity. I'd say, there are harder to fold models out there, but these models have ingenious folding sequences. Like I see it you are looking for the most steps, is that right? Then you should go for the books by Shuki Kato or Andrey Ermakov, if you want something fun to fold, you know my recommendations.
steingar

Post by steingar »

One of Satoshi Kamiya's books would certainly fit the bill. The dude knows what he's about.
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Indeed, Kamiya does know his stuff. Everyone's opinion on all these questions varies, but what do you personally think would be better, 2 book, some mc and tissue paper (and what type of tissue for that matter) or 3 books? Also do you personally recommend hard to fold or fun to fold models (just so you know, I enjoyed folding Kamiya's Ancient Dragon)?
My flickr
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

origami_8 wrote: Alas I'm aware that you'd like the hardest stuff of all time I would like to also recommend you some stuff that's fun to fold. There are three authors who have really fun flowing folding sequences while still providing rather complex models. These are Hideo Komatsu, Roman Diaz and Gen Hagiwara.
I finally got around to taking this advice on board (after buying WOSK3 of course), and I now have Gen Hagiwara's book. And I have to say, it's one of the best decisions I've made. It is a wonderful book, and the models are a joy to fold, despite not being very complex. It has moved Komatsu's book much higher on my list of books to buy.
My flickr
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

for what it's worth, Hideo Komatsu is such a joy and inspiration. I hope to be able to fold his hippo someday.