Curiosity and PDF

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Wordgames

Curiosity and PDF

Post by Wordgames »

I have wondered for some time that various origami magazines such as Tanteidan have not taken full advantage of the opportunities offered by the internet.

Specifically I am thinking they could sell PDF files of issues and convention booklets that are out of print, I’m assuming that the files for such magazines are already held on the computer so the conversion probably wouldn't be too difficult.

This would offer several advantages.

To the company:

1. To be able to sell the magazine/book overseas without shipping or delays.

2. To be able to continue to profit from the magazine after the paper version is out of print.

3. Once the file is created the storage costs are close to zero.

To the buyer

1. Instant purchase

2. Access to out of print material (Such as the Horned Owl)

3. To be able to print out the diagrams instead of trying to hold the book over a photocopier without breaking its spine.

4. Enabling the user to zoom in on complicated folds

5. Allowing me to buy the Horned Owl

The only disadvantage I can see is the possibility of the file being distributed via P2P but at the same time there is nothing to stop people from scanning the books they own and throwing them online... and since this hasn’t happened so far I think it unlikely they would with an electronic book.

Little more than idle musing, any thoughts?
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

I already thought about it, and completly agree with you; maybe in 5 or 10 years they will start to do this ...

I think that they are just afraid by the fact that it is easier to duplicate an electronic document than a paper-book. And protected PDFs are not a solution, if the graphic card displays something on the screen, it can be intercepted and copied !
wolf
Forum Sensei

Re: Curiosity and PDF

Post by wolf »

Wordgames wrote:The only disadvantage I can see is the possibility of the file being distributed via P2P but at the same time there is nothing to stop people from scanning the books they own and throwing them online... and since this hasn’t happened so far I think it unlikely they would with an electronic book.
The demand for origami books is much smaller. But filesharing (not by P2P but the traditional email method) does happen:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/librosdeorigami/
islandmassive

Post by islandmassive »

Wordgames wrote:The only disadvantage I can see is the possibility of the file being distributed via P2P but at the same time there is nothing to stop people from scanning the books they own and throwing them online... and since this hasn’t happened so far I think it unlikely they would with an electronic book.
it already has happened :x people are all ready sharing taintedan convention books on p2p networks but i would much prefer the real thing even if they are out of print :cry: (unlucky for some thow ive got 1-10 lucky meeeeeee :D )
Wordgames

Post by Wordgames »

Well Im sure we would all love to have the original tanteidan books but given the prohibitive e-bay prices and competition when one does become available it becomes a case of something is better than nothing :)