Finishing detail on the final model

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...

Finishing detail on the final model

Postby ajinkyaB » October 10th, 2018, 9:30 am

hello all,
Can someone guide me (and I am sure there are others) about adding details to the finished models? For example the frills on "sailfish" by John Montroll or "marlin" by Takuro Kashiwamura (tutorial on Mariano Zavala's youtube channel). I am attaching two pictures of "sailfish" by John Montroll here to illustrate my query properly. One in green is my fold and the other is folded by P Vong (from Gilad's origami database). I am finding it difficult to bend the paper to shape it. Do I have to wet the paper?https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yW0Kvp_i9FXXQVxCHqRA1bW8TIcACJu3

Thanks,
Ajinkya.
ajinkyaB

Re: Finishing detail on the final model

Postby Gerardo » October 11th, 2018, 12:45 pm

They probably are wetfolded or use a type of paper that allows that.

PS: Please don't watch Zavala's instructional videos nor "promote" them. He doesn't ask for authorization from the origami creators in order to make them public.
Please support Neorigami: http://neorigami.com. Share one of your own creations.
Gerardo
Buddha

Postby ajinkyaB » October 13th, 2018, 8:44 am

Woah! didn't know that!
ajinkyaB

Postby Andre-4 » October 17th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Shaping is a matter of taste...if you look at diagramned books every folder has a method.some do 400 steps that nip..tuck and hide every unseemly edge then very simple books like Neal Elias who only gives a basic guide..
Some of the neatest finishers are Robert j land..Manuel SIRgo Alvarez ....to name a couple...
There are trade mark moves that don't vary....opening stacked creases and flattening into arrows...reversed sinks...
Trampoline folds ...locking where glue is prohibited..just so every thing looks inline and as much like the subject is a bug would have a ripped abdomen...
Horns are toothed or branched..
Is it female or male??
Crimp folds and scales
Andre-4

Return to General Origami Talk