Alternative MC Surfaces?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...

Alternative MC Surfaces?

Postby Pianosun » November 30th, 2018, 5:27 am

Hi, I just found out about MC, backcoating, resizing, all that jazz. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to use the house or garage floor as a surface. I don’t have any flat glass or metal available and my mirror is too small. Also, is it easy to clean MC off the surface when you finish? Thanks!
Pianosun

Re: Alternative MC Surfaces?

Postby AxolotlBottle » December 1st, 2018, 4:54 pm

I'm not sure it would be a particularly good idea to use a floor (The MC will stick every bit of dust and dirt to the paper). I Use a large Sheet of Plexiglass I bought from a local hardware store. If you're able to buy one they work quite well.
AxolotlBottle

Location: Underneath floating tree bark hiding from the predators

Postby Pianosun » December 1st, 2018, 4:59 pm

Thank you!
Pianosun

Postby sable7 » December 1st, 2018, 6:44 pm

I second what AxolotlBottle says. You can also use pretty much any plastic sheet, which should be easily obtainable. I use one and it works great. I don’t clean it very thoroughly because the remnant dried MC isn’t that noticeable, but if you cared then I would say yes, it is easy to clean off.

Hope this helps!
I’m a young folder from the U.S. I love folding complex models and I’m beginning to design my own.
sable7

Postby origami_8 » December 1st, 2018, 6:51 pm

I guess it really depends on what kind of floor you have. The old wooden floor in my flat definitely wouldn't be suitable.
Plexiglass can be quite expensive but has the advantage of being quite break resistant. A cheaper option might be to buy a frameless picture frame. These are made from a thin glass plate clipped to some very thin chipboard, so you have to take care not to break it. Apart from that it works really great, is pretty cheap and easy to get.
origami_8
Administrator

Postby Baltorigamist » December 1st, 2018, 10:15 pm

I use acrylic, and I've never had any problems aside from a corner chipping off. It's fairly cheap by my judgment--about $25-30 for a 30" by 40" piece.
After the fall...we rise.

My Flickr DeviantArt
Baltorigamist

Postby Tankoda » December 2nd, 2018, 3:50 am

You can even use corrugated plexiglass, which is what they use for political signs.
Extra inexpensive.
Tankoda

Postby steingar » December 6th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Oh for Odin's sake, a big piece of glass costs nothing at a hardware store. I used a glass tabletop for years. Now I use a big piece of framed art inherited from a friend. Its hideous, but the face is glass and its big enough to backcoat just about anything.
steingar

Return to General Origami Talk