how to publish a book?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
NPV

how to publish a book?

Post by NPV »

Hello. I finished editing my models and trying to figure out how to publish them. are there any suggestions?

Brimstone
Buddha

Re: how to publish a book?

Post by Brimstone »

Hello NPV

Your best choice is self publishing. Go to http://www.createspace.com it's a company that belongs to Amazon, which means you will be immediately listed in all Amazon's stores around the globe. The thing is you have to do everything yourself, that means the design of every little detail has to be yours, content, cover, back cover and even the spine. This includes colors, fonts, sizes, etc. So if anything goes wrong it will be your fault because nobody reviews it. This means you should have had several testfolders that guarantee that your diagrams are correct.

The good news is that the royalties are higher than with usual publishing and you don't need to invest anything, if someone buys one book, then one book is printed, if nobody buys the book,no books are printed.

If you run into some trouble just write here or send me a pm and I'll gladly answer it.

Good luck, your models look very interesting.
steingar

Post by steingar »

The publish on demand route is a good one, and beats what you used to do to self publish. That said, you get no promotion at all, and you do have to arrange the book. Also, what format does createspace use? Do you have to arrange everything with Publisher? Or do you just submit a PDF? Could change your outlay costs considerably.

The nice thing about having a publisher is they arrange everything and you do get some promotion, the amount depending on the publisher. Of course, every artist has to be ready to promote their own work.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

PDF is fine, that's what I sent for mine.
NPV

Post by NPV »

Thank you for your advice.