Shaping Models

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
anthsawyer

Shaping Models

Post by anthsawyer »

Sorry if this is a frequently asked question, but I've had this issue with shaping models for a while and was wondering if anyone could help. I'm pretty good with being accurate with my folds, and the models that I fold come out well up to the base, and even past it. But as soon as a model I'm folding turns 3D, it's hard getting the folds to stay in place. Is this due to my skill level or techniques (I've never wet folded or treated paper with mc), or the type of paper that I'm using (kami and tracing paper for the most part)? Or is it possibly something else? If anyone could help me figure out how to get my models to hold their shape, I would really appreciate it!

I don't know how to post images on here but if examples are needed I can figure it out
AxolotlBottle
Location: Underneath floating tree bark hiding from the predators

Re: Shaping Models

Post by AxolotlBottle »

The first thing that pops out to me in this post is the paper choice. in most cases, Kami is fairly good for simple-intermediate models that don't require too much shaping (If the shaping has folds that lock it in place it usually works fine.) I'm not well versed in tracing paper so I can't offer much advice in that case. I'd suggest trying out some other kinds of papers.

If you simply want your models to stay in place then MC and Wetfolding are the best bet but again neither of those two papers is very ideal for either Wetfolding or MC. Lastly but most obvious practice makes perfect a nice paper you can use to practice shaping is foil backed/foil paper since it holds its shape incredibly well albeit not always the prettiest paper to use.

I hope this was of some help :D
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

^ I second this. Kami is not an ideal paper for anything above an intermediate level (though there are a couple exceptions), and tracing paper isn’t much better.

Your best bet is to use double tissue, IMO. It’s difficult to make early on (as you need strong tissue and thicker MC), but (as Axolotl said) practice makes perfect.
There’s a nice thread regarding MC in the Paper subforum, and making double tissue isn’t that long of a process. Sara Adams used to have a great tutorial for it on happyfolding.com, though I’m not sure if it’s still up.

As far as embedding images, use the img tag (with a direct link to the image in between).
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
anthsawyer

Post by anthsawyer »

Thank you!! Both of you really helped, I'll definitely watch Sara Adams' double tissue tutorial, I've actually been eyeing it for a while now. And I'll be sure to use the img tag in the future :^)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Here are the videos for making Tissue Foil: https://www.happyfolding.com/instructions-tissue_foil
and Double Tissue: https://www.happyfolding.com/instructions-double_tissue

And an additional Link to Nicolas Terry's Discovery Pack. A great resource if you want to try out other papers but aren't sure yet what you like: https://www.origami-shop.com/en/origami ... 7-827.html

Choosing the right paper for your model surely helps a lot when trying to shape, but what you like, you have to find out yourself. Trying something new always needs some getting accustomed to and there might be papers that you don't like at first but come to like over time.