Dying paper

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
polop

Dying paper

Post by polop »

Have any of you dyed/coloured the paper before folding? I would like it to look professional. Any suggestions? Brands, type of dye, etc

Thank you all very much
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Yes, I have. (I'm no expert, though.) However, there are no shortcuts for learning something like this, especially if you want it to look "professional" (which is a subjective measure in and of itself). Brands and types of dye work differently with different papers, so the best thing for you to do is to experiment. It's the only way you'll be able to figure out what will work to give the results you desire.

Edit: a little grammatical note: the correct spelling is "dyeing", since "dying" already refers to the state of passing on to a new plane of existence. :)
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
polop

Post by polop »

Thanks for your input Joe
If I were to use white mullbry paper is there a recommended dye for that
(dyes are so expensive! I cant try them all)
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Try something water-based first; it makes clean-up easier. Start with the cheapest, and if you're happy, then you're done. Otherwise, move on to the next cheapest, etc. :)

Also, see if you can find a book or (even better) a video with dyeing instructions. The most important thing, from a paperfolder's point of view, is finding a way of making the paper dry flat after you dye it.
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

Shaya's Origami Gallery
She colors her tissue paper for the models folded in her gallery and they look awesome!
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Do you think she uses a technique like tie-dyeing? (spelling?) kinda sectioning of parts of the paper and using diffrent colours?
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

I'm not sure, she said she paints with either watercolors or acrylics on white or solid color sheets then sprays them with varathane. Her colors sure turn out nicely.
polop

Post by polop »

I've figired this problem out!!!!!! 8)
water couler paint (tube type) 1 part
methyl cellulose (cold mix wall paper paste) 1 part
water 9 parts

for a 25-30 cm square 1 part = 1 tea spoon