Question on TreeMaker Crease Patterns

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Nova

Question on TreeMaker Crease Patterns

Post by Nova »

I recently tried TreeMaker and I am pretty new at this.
My question is, Why is the crease pattern asymmetric in terms of mountain and valley creases?

ImageScreen Shot 2020-08-02 at 8.35.09 PM by Bill Bill, auf Flickr
rayan08

Re: Question on TreeMaker Crease Patterns

Post by rayan08 »

hmm. i'm attending university so i haven't made origami or used the treemaker program in a while. can you tell me more about ReferenceFinder4 please? i havent hear of that program.
sattej

Post by sattej »

So it's been a long time since I used Treemaker. And sorry I don't have an answer why the CP is not symmetrical. But, this CP has serious problems. I tried to fold it using indicated M/V folds and it is not possible.

I thought more about why and I noticed one vertex has 5 mountain folds and one valley fold. This is impossible. It violates Maekawa's theorem that M - V = +/-2 (number of mountain and valley always differ by 2). So this CP isn't foldable. Could you post a screenshot of your "tree" (stick figure)? I might try again to fold this ignoring indicated M/V and just guess.
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

I don't know about TreeMaker, but that Maekawa theorem concerns flat models.
If Nova CP is for a 3D shape, that theorem does not apply.
sattej

Post by sattej »

That is an excellent point about flat versus 3D. And you are right, for 3D, Maekawa's theorem (M / V relationship) and Kawasaki's theorem (sum of odd angles = sum of even angles = 180 deg) do not apply.

But, I think Treemaker is only capable to generate flat-foldable CP. So the assumption should be if Treemaker output, supposed to be flat-foldable.