Tissue foil vs Biotope for the ancient dragon?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
PookieYuki

Tissue foil vs Biotope for the ancient dragon?

Post by PookieYuki »

Hey gang,

Been folding for a while but just joined the forum. Great to meet you all! Treating myself to good quality origami paper is a rare event indeed, so I would like to do my best to get the most out of them! I got a pack of Terry's 60 cm tissue foil paper as a birthday gift last year and had a lot of fun with it. I've never tried biotope though so I figured I would give it a go. For those of you who have used both, what do you think? Is one truly superior than the other for certain models, or maybe even just better overall? I would really like to try Kamiya's ancient dragon again. It came out clean with the tissue foil, save for a tiny amount of tearing at the very center of the base, but was a nightmare to shape, as the horns were already quite small. The biotope sheets are a little bigger (70cm as opposed to 60cm for the tissue foil), but thicker (55 gsm versus 15-50gsm for the tissue foil, according to Origami Shop). I also picked up some 100cm alios kraft and am hoping to get a good amount of detail from it. It's a shame that there aren't more color options for it!
bethnor
Buddha

Re: Tissue foil vs Biotope for the ancient dragon?

Post by bethnor »

both are too thick for this model, particularly at that size. it will probably be easier as a process with biotope.
Tankoda

Re: Tissue foil vs Biotope for the ancient dragon?

Post by Tankoda »

You'll have a better chance with the biotope, but neither of those papers are ideal.
An easily accessible paper that will work is 35 cm Japanese foil, but that is a bit tricky.
Double tissue would be ideal if you can make it.
Origamishop also sells Shadowfold paper in 70cm squares - this is thin enough to fold a decent AD, but it hardly holds shaping