A Letter to a Friend

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
acavier

A Letter to a Friend

Post by acavier »

Good morning, and happy new year! or with my friends, I say, Happy Mew Year!

I need some help with a letter idea for a friend.

I want to write 7 days worth of letters to be opened one day at a time. Day 7 will be folded first into a small design of some kind, then day 6 will be folded around that, followed by day 5 and so on. This will allow my friend to open day 1 first and then see day 2 inside, with each day inside the next.

What is the best way to fold each day's letter for this to be accomplished?
Baltorigamist

Re: A Letter to a Friend

Post by Baltorigamist »

To be completely honest, you don't need to do anything special. Unless you want to have the folded letters look like something specific, something like thirds will work perfectly fine. You don't even need to be completely accurate, either.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
acavier

Post by acavier »

Thank you for the reply.

I am using 8.5x11 parchment paper for a nicer feel than regular white printer paper.

Maybe the first day could be shaped like a heart.

What is an easy design for a beginner like me to follow to make my paper into a heart that will fit easily into a 6 in x 9 1/4 in bubble envelope?
oz

Post by oz »

Just a thought, you might look into modular origami. There's two different kinds: the usual models that take dozens of the same or similar modules to create a larger structure, and other designs that just use multiple pieces of paper to achieve the end model. Here, for example, are some designs that use 5 pieces of paper. You could always do an introductory letter with instructions and a final letter with a stand or something if you wanted to stretch it out to 7.

Have fun brainstorming!
oz

Post by oz »

You can find lots of easy origami diagrams online if you just search for them. This is an easy heart diagram that should work well. :)