tiling

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
shehab hazem

tiling

Post by shehab hazem »

I read the chapter in the book origami design secrets. I am trying to learn tiling because I heard from some that its good for things like centipedes and I want to make one but I just dont understand how to assemble the tiles and how can I even make tiles that resembles the flaps I am so confused, If someone have read the book or have any previous knowledge . please help thanks in advance
Nameless

Re: tiling

Post by Nameless »

Sure man. I think that the most important thing so that you can tile is that rivers line up. Also, if you want to make a centipide then you can just line up a ton of bird bases on a single line and fold it.
This post was made by a nameless fool. If necessary, address them as "Nemo".
shehab hazem

Re: tiling

Post by shehab hazem »

I mean by assembly is that how can I put my tiles according to my desired flaps lengths and distributions , and about traditional bases it is a actually my specialty. so I want to make 50 leg centipede it may seem impossible but I know some people been able to make it even Robert J. Lang himself said it is possible to make 100 leg centipede ,so bird bases will be a really inefficient the centipede the bird bases will collapse on one flap which will be the body which is equal to every other flap. And it will need more than 2 meters to make plus how many layers will be added but maybe with splitting points and grafting techniques we could make one with less bird bases, but still would be really inefficient and circle packing is also not an option so tiling seems to be nice.