circle packing?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
shehab hazem

circle packing?

Post by shehab hazem »

I am trying to design a model using circle packing( not the box pleating one) but the problem is how can I connect the circles with lines . I mean just make the axial polygons and at the end how can I measure my packing. those axial polygon on paper. If you need the packing I could post it. Thanks in advance. :D
shehab hazem

Re: circle packing?

Post by shehab hazem »

Can somebody please answer me I really need your help [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

I hope someone helps you out shehab. Unfortunately I don't know about the topic :(.
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I don't understand your question, you seem to be asking multiple things at once.
How to connect circles with lines: active paths along tangent circles become axial creases, usually valley.
How to measure your packing: idk what you're asking but you can use reference finder (https://finder.origami.tools/), plug in your decimal value coordinates and it will tell you how to fold them on your paper
shehab hazem

Post by shehab hazem »

what I meant is after I made the cp how can I find the reference points and how can I even find that decimal value? how can I know when I am connecting those circles how can I know that my connections are axial creases ? what do you mean by tangent ? how can I insert rivers ? sorry but I don't understand anything? :cry: :cry:
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Circle packing is a very difficult design method and chances are it is a bit higher level than you can do. Fortunately, it is only one of many design methods. If you want to learn bp or other much easier methods, i have a youtube series here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6CC ... 4WgItD4WO9
shehab hazem

Post by shehab hazem »

No I just hate Box pleating. Thanks anyway
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Damn bro, then you're missing out. Have fun learning circle packing then.

You could also try modifying traditional bases (which is also in the videos), it has it's limits for complexity but also works decently well and isn't box pleating
shehab hazem

Post by shehab hazem »

Actually I opened the book again and said to myself I will. Never read another sentence unless I understand the other I got how to connect circles any circle touching another there will be an axial crease connecting their center .I also read molecules if an axial polygon tangent points don't meet up you need to change to an arrow head molecule or an gusset molecule if theirs a river runs through use a horse saw molecule. I didn't finish the chapter though but I want to know how can I pack the circles accurately he said sketch on paper that doesn't seem as an accurate solution the circle jig sucks what can I do.
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Have you tried downloading his treemaker program? https://langorigami.com/article/treemaker/
shehab hazem

Post by shehab hazem »

yes but I want to do it myself to feel that I have achieved something.
Rez

Post by Rez »

Can you post a picture of the packing? We could try to figure it out together because I'm also trying to learn to circle pack. (I don't hate box pleating, I just don't like the "boxiness" and "unnaturalness" of it.)
SunnyLeslie

Post by SunnyLeslie »

It is interesting to see a photo of the origami modeling process itself. I'm not an expert, just a beginner yet. I hope to learn interesting techniques in the future.
shehab hazem

Post by shehab hazem »

Rez wrote: May 18th, 2021, 4:00 pm Can you post a picture of the packing? We could try to figure it out together because I'm also trying to learn to circle pack. (I don't hate box pleating, I just don't like the "boxiness" and "unnaturalness" of it.)
sure