how to make your model stand

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
shehab hazem

how to make your model stand

Post by shehab hazem »

whenever I make any origami it just doesn't stand it keeps falling (probably because I use butter paper :cry: ) but when I design my model sometimes stands because in works of Satoshi Kamiya 2 in the little bird model he said third dimensional models that are completely closed aren't stable because it often have a hollow in its body you should use the thickness of the paper of an appendage to stabilize the model like in his little bird the thickness of the model is lifted by the wings which makes the model stand perfectly he says it is not common use the technique, it is really hard to manage that is just a tip for you when you design but because I really like birds always the model lies on its belly and like in his Sleipnir I tried to make him in the neighing pose but it always fall . in case you don't know the sleipnir is an eight legs horse so in the neighing pose it has four forelegs in the air and four hind legs making the model stand it always fall probably because butter paper isnt strong but is their a way , thanks in advance
p.s I tried to make the legs all identical
origami_8
Administrator

Re: how to make your model stand

Post by origami_8 »

There are many ways to make your model stand. It starts with designing it that way, that the paper distribution plays in your favour, but that's not always feasible. You can try using stronger paper like elephant hide or if you want something that holds its shape tissue foil. If that doesn't help you can try with wet shaping using either water or MC or watered down white glue (dirty water like Brian Chan once called it). If all of that fails you can cheat even more with wire skeletons or weights hidden inside the model. For weights you can get pretty strong small magnets that can be hidden easily but have the disadvantage that you should only use them in one place because otherwise they like to attract each other forcefully. Some people also use custom made stands. One stand that is pretty popular is a heavy cube with a clamp like these: https://www.origami-shop.com/en/accesso ... _1912.html
SunnyLeslie

Post by SunnyLeslie »

I think you need more suitable paper. When the paper is thick enough, it holds its shape.
shehab hazem

Post by shehab hazem »

Yes but there is no suitable paper available even Kraft is not appropriate for the models I fold.