Importing files into ORIPA

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Andre-4

Importing files into ORIPA

Post by Andre-4 »

:roll:
Hi everyone .With these handy applications is bringing back alot of folders back to origami from the technical aspects it makes sense for the design process to be taken seriously .For many younger folders it eliminates the cringe factor of the hobby .
However with Oripa the app still can be refined further .I wrote a message to the developer and received a reply .I'll share what he said ..can anyone help .?

Dear developers .
I have been working with oripa and it's an enjoyable experience However it only uses a small amount of data.less than 3mbs to upload .
I figure it would help me if it could plot parallel lines , such as those that are featured in Elias stretches.
The second feature that might expand its utilities would be; to import any origami cp in jpeg or PNG .Currently it uses p.c files no android phone can read and it would read it like a barcode or qr scanner .
Thirdly the flat foldibility feature would feature is often too vague .How is one to know how many lines in the schematic are incorrect , missing or the wrong colour .? I figure the error message should have the capacity to calculate how much more work is needed to get the collapse .
Yours faithfully :oops: :oops: =D>
Last edited by Andre-4 on November 19th, 2021, 12:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Andre-4

Re: Importing files into ORIPA

Post by Andre-4 »

Here is the reply and my response

Thank you for the feedback! I won't be able to implement all of your suggestions at this time, but I'll keep your requests in mind.

I don't plan to allow JPGs and PNGs as input files since converting the raster images to vector lines can introduce inaccuracies, such that it's easier for the user to redraw the crease pattern in the app. The app currently supports .opx and .cp files (as specified by Jun Mitani https://mitani.cs.tsukuba.ac.jp/oripa/), and I have plans to support .fold files as well in the future (https://github.com/edemaine/fold ). All of these file types are text based, and can be opened and viewed in a normal text editor.

The app does assume knowledge of crease pattern rules (e.g. Kawasaki's and Maekawa's theorems), but you're right that the app does have the information available to provide more detailed flat foldability error messages in the future.

I quickly acknowledged that by saying...

Hi
How glad I am to receive your reply .
It's most appreciated that you at least acknowledged my email .
I wonder if you could further help by suggesting where I could find an .cp .opx file converter as there . I've like literally searched everywhere for this type of application but there are non that are approved by the play protect store .

A few days later

cp and .opx are specialized file types that only a small handful of origami applications can read, so I don't believe there are any converters outside of the existing origami apps. Currently, ORIPA for Android can import .cp and .opx files and export .cp, .opx, .svg, .png. If you export as SVG, you can open the file in most vector drawing software and change the line colors, etc.

Supporting import of SVG files is on my TODO list, but I haven't gotten around to implementing that yet. [-X :mrgreen:

I'd like to know if anyone has successfully converted PNG or jpg files to .CP and opx and fully imported with the mobile app .??