Stereo photography & Origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Tjips

Stereo photography & Origami

Post by Tjips »

I had an interresting :idea: a while back, and was reminded of it yesterday. Why not take stereo pictures of origami so that everyone can see your model in 3D? I think this has potential. Here's my first successful try: (It uses the cross-eye method, click here for how to view and take these pics)

Tell me what you think, and TAKE SOME OF YOUR OWN. :)
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

That's way cool!

I tried out some stereophotography before, but my lack of skill with the camera made me give up the whole endeavour. :)
chapbell

Post by chapbell »

Do you use some sort of slider bar?
http://origami.oschene.com
Open Source Origami
It isn't origami till you share it.
esato

Post by esato »

Cool!
Just make sure nobody is around you when you are seeing those cross-eyed stereo pictures!
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

Do you use some sort of slider bar?
What do you mean by slider bar. Anyway, all I use is my digital and a ruler. Do you have xperience in this kind of photography?
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

The slider bar is a tool that you can either make or purchase from a photography shop to do stereophotographs. It's like a little rail thing that you stick onto your tripod, then you can slide your camera back and forth along it. The slider is just to help you ensure that the camera along the same line when you take the two images.

It's useful when you can't prop up the camera against a hard surface, eg when you are taking a nature shot. However, for macro shots like these, you can put the camera on a table or chair, then slide it using a ruler as a guide (as you have done for this photo, I think).
polop

Post by polop »

i cannot look at these pictures, I make the pictures merge (from 4 to 3) but then the midle one is blurred along with the outer two, any help or experiences of this kind
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

Polop, the reason you're image is blurred is because you haven't trained your eyes yet. It all comes with practice. See, the reflexes governing your eyes focus and distance are naturally linked, thus meaning when you cross your eyes (effectively looking at something closer), your lenses automatically adjust the focus. The trick is to teach your eyes to seperate these reflexes. The only way I know of is practice. You may find it easier to see parralel photo's, where you relax your eyes (look as if your looking at something behind the screen. Copy my previous pic and edit it in paint or something and just swap the pics. Try then.

My Photos