Hardest Memorized Model

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

John Montroll's Blue Shark
ahhhh :) what a wonderful model, I love it very much.

Christian
OrigamiMagiro
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiMagiro »

wolf wrote:I recently found that memorizing a crease pattern is much easier than memorizing several dozen steps. Once you've gotten the base, it's just a matter of working out the details (which appear to be pretty much standardized).

I've got a few Kawahata bugs stashed away in this fashion; it's always useful to know how to fold a scary looking cockroach in a pinch, heh heh...
I like this method as well. It seems much more straightforward and easy to remember if you can see the whole cp in your head then say hundreds of steps. In this way, it is actually very simple to memorize very complicated models. I probably have Satoshi's wizard memorized even though i've only folded it twice, just because I've looked at the cp so many times. Same goes for most of my models as well.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

TheRealChris wrote:
John Montroll's Blue Shark
ahhhh :) what a wonderful model, I love it very much.

Christian

I also think that it's a splendid model. The only weakness is in the main dorsal fin, which is difficult to keep in position.

Although it's a good representaion of a shark, it's too bulky to be a Blue Shark. These fish have very slender, pencil-thin bodies and bulbous eyes.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

kookuu clock
BigFIFan

Post by BigFIFan »

When in high school I used to try to memorize one model everyday so I'd have stuff to do during lectures. Because of this I have more models memorized than I can count. As for the most complex one, its probably Maekawa's demon.

While it is easier to memorize a crease pattern, I find that nothing is more satisfying than folding a model that almost folds itself, revealing what the next step is almost intuitively. Much of Komatsu Hideo's work falls into this catagory.
steyen

Post by steyen »

hi big fi fan! nice to meet you!
im steven and i would like to be friends with you.
how long have you been started folding? do you like to collect origami books and diagrams?

what is your email?
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

For the most part I cannot remember what I have memorized. As for complexity, once I have them memorized they are no longer difficult for me.
Of those memorized that I can remember, that might "look" hard to fold:
1st memorized model:
Tyrannosaurus (3rd grade), Fox, Kangaroo, Brontosaurus - Animal Origami for the Enthusiast
Rose - Tashikazu Kawasaki
Demonio - Fernando Gilgado Gomez
KNL Dragon - Lang
Rat - Eric Joisel
Dragon - Sébastien Curvers

Demonio probably takes the longest of those for me.
I have learned over time that Origami, is not a spectators sport. They want the gold, but not the race.
BigFIFan wrote:
While it is easier to memorize a crease pattern, I find that nothing is more satisfying than folding a model that almost folds itself, revealing what the next step is almost intuitively.
I very much agree with that. It is a secret joy of origami I share alone when folding in a crowded room.

But I must also add this...To be folding a model with a sequence of steps that makes no sense. Or has hidden paths that I discover only after a "mental battle", with a strong effort to see past the limitations of my own thinking process. To find more than what is given. Folding these kinds of models have been just as satisfying for me. Although, heh, I would prefer the former in excess and this type in moderation.
malachi

memory?

Post by malachi »

The two that come to mind are Montroll's turtle and Kawasaki's Rose. They are the things I most frequently fold from memory that are not modular.
yee245

Post by yee245 »

I'd say the most complex model I can fold off the top of my head would be Michael LaFosse's F-14 Tomcat. The next would be the Kawasaki Rose, though to me, that is not particularly complex. I don't usually tend to memorize models, though the modules for unit origami are among those that I do have memorized. As someone else said earlier, after you have something memorized, typically it isn't that hard for you to fold anymore.
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

This is going to sound silly, but once I can fold a pattern from memory, it ceases to be difficult. For instance, montrell's turtle was tough for me to fold at first, but once I'd folded it a few times it became easy. I can fold that one practically in my sleep now.

Kawasaki's rose, on the other hand, has never been easy. I still cannot fold it, even with diagrams in front of me.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

cybermystic wrote:Kawasaki's rose, on the other hand, has never been easy. I still cannot fold it, even with diagrams in front of me.
Have you tried the step photo instructions at Dan of Toaster's website (http://www.doftnet.net)? Every step is documented in great detail, and a lot of intermediate stages are shown.

I used to be able to fold Marc Kirschenbaum's Enterprise from memory, but all I can manage these days is just the traditional crane... :D
shawn

Post by shawn »

You know, I just found out today that I have Kamiya's Wizard just about memorized....naturally I've still got a finger problem, but everything up to there I have memorized....so that is my most difficult memorized fold....that and Maekawa's Devil. huzzzzaah!
Dioniso

Post by Dioniso »

Marlin by Miyajima Noboru....

Dioniso
WhiteShadows

Post by WhiteShadows »

i always try to memorize the many origami diagrams there are but the one i can fold from heart are the Maekawa Devil, Yoshihisha Kimura's 3 pice dragon can be found (http://gallery.origami.free.fr/Auteurs/ ... 0rouge.htm) the Kawasaki rose
Kinda Lau

Post by Kinda Lau »

montroll's lobster. Always good to have 1 good one up your sleeve, though it is quite a waste of brain power -.-