Help with jeremy Shafer's chain model... please?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Help with jeremy Shafer's chain model... please?

Post by ahudson »

I just got Jeremy Shafer's "Origami to Astonish and Amuse" and I was folding through it for the first time. I came across the "Eight interlocking rings" model, and because I was folding with 6 inch kami (15 cm), I decided to change it to four rings as I was folding. Everything went fine, until I tried to lock the rings together: they just wouldn't stay closed! I spent the better part of an hour trying (unsucsessfully) to close them... I'm not sure if I'm just not locking them right or if it's too small to work properly (the lock ends up being about 6mm across and I was using my fingernails)... I tried both methods of locking, but the theoretically permanent method still wouldn't stay shut... Any suggestions?
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

It is not good Model I dont think. You can try divide paper to 32 maybe (at step where it divition). But the sink step do you know, is problem. The paper become very thickness, you can spare by squash inside points. But not so much since locks not well hold.. :?

Rock
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

That's a tough model to fold with 6 inch Kami. Do you have any foil paper?

Actually that's going to be a tough model to fold with 6 inch anything.

Suggest you first try 2 rings, then 4 rings, then 6, before trying 8.
Tissue foil -- the best thing since sliced bread.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Well, I had already folded the two interlocking rings and this particular time I was trying to modulate it for four rings, when I ran into the problem. I do have foil, but nothing bigger than 6 in... Except regular paper and kami of course. I do have acess to butcher paper and blank uncut newsprint, I haven't tried with either of those...
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Late answer, but....

Then problem most likely stems from the springyness of paper. Try foil. use the same looking method as described in two permanently interlocking rings.
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos