Blind Folding?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Cupcake
Buddha

Blind Folding?

Post by Cupcake »

Is it possible for a blind person to do origami? Just wondering... :-k
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Sure, but it will be a lot harder. At the Masters of Origami exhibition their where some works of a blind folder, if I remember right his name is Saburo Kase.
You can try blind folding for yourself if you like, just close your eyes or bind them and try. Their was an exhibition in vienna some time ago where it was completely dark, you where leaded by a blind guide through different "landscapes" and in the end you sat down in a coffee to drink something and pay for it. Gerwin and I took the opportunity to fold some things (crane, fujimoto cube, diamondrose squarejumper,...). It worked very well, but I can imagine that it would be hard to fold something more complex. Their´s also the fact, that you aren´t able to read printed diagrams in a book if you are blind and that´s probably the hardest part on it.
Ali

Post by Ali »

Diagrams could be printed like braile, with the drawings raised.
Wordgames

Post by Wordgames »

It is definately possible, many moons ago I was teaching my nightshift team how to fold cranes and Gemma (who is blind) was really being left out... so I remembered the telephone folding instuctions which I think were on the BOS site and managed to talk her through the fold.

It was a bit of a mess but we got there in the end the odd thing was it wasnt the worst crane in the group... one of which had decided to go swimming and another was a true abboration of nature and not even the folder was entirely sure how it was so bubbled and malformed by the time he was finished though my suspicion is that he had natural wetfolding abilities.

So in short it is possible.

I often fold rabbits, spiders, squirrels and a few others by touch in cinemas or if I have the paper in front of me and cannot be bothered to switch the light on.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful"
Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d
Narazeetak

Post by Narazeetak »

If you can fold while your eyes are closed, so origami can be done by a blind man. :D
Naramon shinka...... Zeetakmon!
polop

Post by polop »

This could not be quite true as we have already learned how to do it with our vision, so it is not a strugle to fold blind folded or whatever. but if you have never seen how an origami model looks It would be very hard to learn. Spose someone like kamiya went blind, I'm sure he could still fold a cracking crane :lol:
Origamilady

Post by Origamilady »

I actually practice doing this sort of thing (blind folding) all the time . . . . I started doing it by accident, talking to someone who had asked a question and I got involved in a discussion but my hands kept on going :). As far as learning new things though (while blindfolded). . . . Im still working on that.