Christmas Origamibook

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Well, I'll have to get designing! :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

Daydreamer wrote:
thedeadsmellbad wrote:One thing that seems to be fare to those who contribute is some kind of time restraint on the release for those who do not contribute. Let them play with it for a few months then let everyone try.
Well, that's the way it is now, except not for the whole book.
Everyone who supplied a diagram for the book can decide for themselves if they want to publish the diagram elsewhere starting from February 1st.
What if a person contributed diagrams then died with no family, would those diagrams be lost to the public or would that be cause to release them?
Rdude

Post by Rdude »

:roll:

thats all I have to say.

Hey look, i think its a flying pig.

Rdude
If you can't fold it, try a bazooka.
My Flickr ->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdudevr55/
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

thedeadsmellbad wrote:What if a person contributed diagrams then died with no family...
Since that person died with no family, there's no way we can know about it.
Also, since that person decided to die without letting anyone know that can be interpreted as wish that all the knowledge may pass away into oblivion together with said person.

With the conditions defined beforehand there's no way to publish the book now without the explicit consent of all participants. Maybe next time you should just take part in the project instead of thinking up (far-fetched) reasons afterwards that might entitle you to get the book.

Also as mentioned before, I've experienced enough human behaviour to know that with the prospect of everybody getting the book for free anyway the participation rate will be far less than it was now.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Taulmarill

Post by Taulmarill »

First i would like to make clear, that i don't think i am entitled to get anything.

I merely wanted to start an exchange of arguments regarding copyright and free content. as i pointed out already, it would be very difficult to release the book to the public the way it was done.

What i would like to add to this discussion are just some thoughts, that may or may not change the way this is done next time.

One reason i have a problem with the rather closed way, this book was done, is the fact, that many people have put in much work, to make the Internet and even this forum work, and you probably don't even know their names. This forum for instance is phpBB. Did you ever consider that it's a huge amount of work to write such stuff? Did you even write them a mail and thank them for not only giving that software away for free, but also releasing the source code? And there is much more free software which makes the web go. GNU/Linux, Apache, PHP, Perl, BIND .... i could go on.

I would like to remind everyone, that i don't want to get something from you but only to consider, that it might be a good thing, to give something back where you can. I would assume that most here would not be able to provide some code to any open/free software. But you can take the afford you make anyway by making diagrams or crease patterns and refuse to keep them hidden but release them so all can benefit from your work.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I think you still haven't understood the point that everyone can decide for themselves if they want to publish their diagrams for the public. The rights of each model are reserved to the creator and the producer of the diagrams.

The constraint of not publishing elsewhere is only temporary, so that people are encouraged to let their creativity flow in order to get a preview of diagrams that no one has seen before them. As I see it, this constraint is not meant to keep people out, but as additional encouragement to get people to share their works.
If some people only want to share if they get something in return (and a lot of people fall into that category) that's up to them.

And if you want to know, I will release my diagrams I did for this book online as soon as the time limit is over (and if you visit my homepage you will see that I am far away from keeping stuff to myself).
Gerwin
Taulmarill

Post by Taulmarill »

Daydreamer wrote:I think you still haven't understood the point that everyone can decide for themselves if they want to publish their diagrams for the public. The rights of each model are reserved to the creator and the producer of the diagrams.
I've understood that as soon as it was mentioned, which was after my second post, i think. Maybe I'm just not able to clearly express what i want to say, i don't know. If i should annoy or offend anyone, just tell me to shut up.

I find it surprisingly hard to put this in words, but working on a Project with a bunch of other people and releasing it to the public was always a rewarding experience for me. To me it somehow feels wrong to collect and assemble a bunch of diagrams, even if they get released one by one scattered over the Internet, and not make it available. I would be far more motivated to do my part on something big which will be available for all. But thats - of course - a matter of personal taste and not a question of right or wrong.
Daydreamer wrote:And if you want to know, I will release my diagrams I did for this book online as soon as the time limit is over (and if you visit my homepage you will see that I am far away from keeping stuff to myself).
I've already seen that and i have to say, that there is some great stuff there. But some of what i already said applies here. It's all free (as in free beer), but there is no mention if it's free (as in freedom). Ok, maybe i have to clarify this. Let's take that turtle diagram from Origami Austria for instance. It is a nice model and to make that clear, i'm grateful that someone did the work on developing the model and drawing the diagram. But it's just a bit complicated for me as a beginner to clearly see, what i would have to do in each step.
Now let's assume, i would be successful in folding the model and would be willing to enhance the diagram with some more steps which would show exactly how to do what and when. Am i allowed to do that? There's no way to be sure except by asking the people involved. But gee, no email address is given either.
This is just meant as an example but i've seen this so many times. Simply appending some lines of text on the bottom of the pdf would make it all clear.

Ok, again i managed to write far too much to say so little. All i want, is to make the great, creative minds here aware of free content and the movement that's behind it and the fact, that everyone here will most certainly already have gained something from it. I don't want anything else from you all, but to give a little thought about it.

Daydreamer wrote:Maybe next time you should just take part in the project instead of thinking up (far-fetched) reasons afterwards that might entitle you to get the book.
I may have taken part in the project if i would have been around here when it was done and i would be able to design my own models. I'm simply not able to do that (yet).
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Taulmarill wrote:Am i allowed to do that? There's no way to be sure except by asking the people involved. But gee, no email address is given either. (...) Simply appending some lines of text on the bottom of the pdf would make it all clear.
That's one thing I've actually noticed about my diagrams and the others on origamiaustria.at some time ago already but never got around to change it yet. I agree that it would make things a lot clearer. I've also thought about applying some CC-Licence, but haven't look too deep into this yet.
Gerwin
Taulmarill

Post by Taulmarill »

If you want to go into it, have a look at http://creativecommons.org/license/. Most of the important stuff is there in a fairly brief description.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

This is how I think of the book:
Basically, it's kind of like money. You give a little bit of miney and you receive a lot in return. However, if you have no money, then tough luck. Maybe you can get some from someone else.
The whole point of the book to me is that if you give a little, you get a lot. But if you give nothing, you receive nothing.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

It's a potluck.

You bring something, it gets added to everything else, and you can have anything that's there.

You don't show up empty-handed.

By the way, the no-release period will be over in just two days. So quit your bickering and maybe some of us will release our diagrams. But if you keep acting so ungrateful and entitled, you don't deserve it.
Rdude

Post by Rdude »

I am planning to eventually release my diagram, but i want to improve it's quality first, and that might not happen for a while.

to everyone wanting for the book to be released to the public, if you are interested in it, then try to design something for next years book. The whole point of the book is to provide a means for interested people to create and share something to give to eachother, and to recieve something in return. It is somewhat of an incentive for creativity. If the book were made public in it's entirety then the whole idea of it would be voided. WHat would be the point of submitting anything at all when you could just freeload and get something for nothing. The participation and appeal of the book would thus be reduced; it just wouldn't be as special.

Thats my 2 bits

Rdude
If you can't fold it, try a bazooka.
My Flickr ->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdudevr55/
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Taulmarill wrote:Now let's assume, i would be successful in folding the model and would be willing to enhance the diagram with some more steps which would show exactly how to do what and when. Am i allowed to do that? There's no way to be sure except by asking the people involved. But gee, no email address is given either.
Take a look at the various "Help with step X of model Y" threads on this forum. Many contributors to these threads take step photos, and even videos, to help the original poster; these photos and videos are publicly available, for free, even when the model is copyrighted. So sure, there's nothing stopping you from coming up with your own enhancements and distributing it. You only have to seek permission from the author/diagrammer if you release the entire original diagram, together with enhancements.
Taulmarill wrote: All i want, is to make the great, creative minds here aware of free content and the movement that's behind it and the fact, that everyone here will most certainly already have gained something from it.
Some of us know this, and some of us don't. Some of us use CC-licenses, and some of us don't. If you want to preach about open source in origami, start a separate thread on the forum. Quit picking on the Christmas book.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I don't think I'm going to release my diagram...
I don't beleive anyone has folded my designs yet :( But very soon I will be folding some of the other designs from the book. Has anyone folded any of them?
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

i was not able to get in my diagrams.... and even so the ones i finally created where not allowed to be used. this is ok, but i would like to see some of the diagrams from others here, i hope some will post, at least pics of the completed models :)