Origami Tanteidan

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
p00by

Origami Tanteidan

Post by p00by »

I've read it has a couple of very good models, but i live in Belgium and i have never even read one word Japanese. Local stores surely wont have it, i haven't even seen one origami book here in belgium (except in the library something of thee bag folding ](*,)) So is it worth buying it, and are there a lot of transportation costs?

Thx
swollix

Post by swollix »

Many will agree that they are well worth the price for subscription.
OrigamiMagiro
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiMagiro »

They are Well worth it if you are into complex models and especially cps. Information about ordering is here: http://origami.gr.jp/New/joas-e.html
The price is $40 no matter where you live. (This includes international postage)
You get 6 issues that are 40 pages each including two in full color.
The only problem is that you have to ship your $40 (or an international postal order for 4,000yen) via snail mail. It could get lost, ect. but it is unlikely. Would it be hard to obtain US$ in Belgium?
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

As swollix and Origami Magiro have mentioned, the magazine is well worth the subscription, and the convention books too. I have never seen Tantiedan or any other origami magazine/convention sets for sale outside of special origami/hobby shops which are rare to find, but some do exist. Ordering will most likely be the hardest thing to get around, but I'm not sure what the costs of shipping to Belgium are. If you do find any average origami books, they'll most likely be very simple. If you do order Tanteidan, don't worry too much about reading japanese (I can only read two characters), the articles are in japanese, but the diagrams are usually easy to follow. If you would like to see reviews of the Tanteidan books and some of the magazines, you can check out Gilad Aharoni's page: http://www.giladorigami.com/
He is also on this forum.

P.S. What folding level would you say you are at? Most of the models in these magazines and books are complex or super complex.
gilad_zn

Post by gilad_zn »

I'd say - GET THEM!!!
The Tanteidan magazines are by far the most high-quality origami related publication in the world. The only down side is that they are in Japanese, but the diagrams are so crystal clear that it's not that big a downside. They include lots of articles which I would love to be able to read, but the diagrams themselves are well worth the cost.
There are usually two sets of diagrams in each magazine. The first two diagrams are simple-intermediate modular/geometric models, and the last two are (mega)complex models, usually one with diagrams and one with a crease-pattern (that includes hints in Japanese :cry:).

About ordering, there is a very simple method to order, but I will only get to it after I get to tell my shocking true story. When I first wanted to order them, I went to the bank to get an "international postal money order". The folks at the bank had no idea what the hell this was, so they gave me an international check, or something like it. Needless to say, after several weeks of anticipation, it came back. That's probably when I asked Gilad Aharoni how he orders them, and he told me of the easy way to do it.

Oh, yah, I guess you want to know how :lol:
Well, if you don't already have a PayPal account set, make one (it's very easy). Just go to http://www.paypal.com/
Next, email June Sakamoto, of OUSA, who, volunteers to arrange orders from JOAS. You can pay with PayPal (with a very small extra to cover paypal stuff). At least dozens of people order through her and I don't know of anyone who was disappointed. I would just like to repeat that she does all this on her free time and dons't get a cent in return, so a BIG "THANK YOU JUNE" is in order.
For her email, please message me privately.
Cheers!
Gilad Naor
https://blog.giladnaor.com
p00by

Post by p00by »

I have books like Lang's Origami insects and their kin or seres de ficcion, I cant make all of them yet (especially not the insects) but i think this are really complex books. Ordering dollars wont be hard around here, but i think it is illegal here to send money with the post and i dont thrust it, a friend once lost 60 € (~60$) by sending it by post. I think i will try to do it with pay-pal or something like that.
origamifan

Post by origamifan »

It's no hope in VietNam.I can buy no thing aboard via internet from this country.Origami is not popular in Vietnam too,so the only way to obtain diagrams and other things is download from the internet.