Coloring paper

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
phil_origami

Coloring paper

Post by phil_origami »

Hello,

First of all I would like to say hi to all! This is my first post to the forum.

I want to know about coloring a sheet of origami paper. Is acrylic color the best option? Secondly, if one wants to apply sizing (CMC) to the paper should it be mixed with the color? Lastly, what is your experience of wetfolding on paper that you have colored; does the color come off when you fold it?

Thanks.

Phil.
silentmagesoul

Post by silentmagesoul »

Umm... I wouldn't say that coloring a piece of paper with acrylic is the best idea ever. I've never tried it myself, but I have worked with acrylic ... and I think that would be very hard to fold. I'm afraid I've never wetfolded or used CMC so I can't help you there... sorry.

If you really want a relatively easy, good material with custom color, just go with tissue foil. There plenty of threads here about it.
Melancholic

Post by Melancholic »

I've never tried it myself, but I have a book that gives a few details on how to color paper. You're right about the sizing. Mix it in a 1:1 ratio with the acrylic (the book even says to use acrylic). You're also going to need "liquid acrylic polymer emulsion". You might want a piece of glass and a mister to help stick the paper to the glass before applying the paint...

The book is Advanced Origami by Michael LaFosse, by the way.
islandmassive

Post by islandmassive »

hi,
i dont know about acrilic but if you have chalks/oil pastels and stuff that rubs off you can use cheap hairspay on the paper to stop it also works if you print origami apaer off the net :D
giro

Post by giro »

I use acrylic with MC, this work good and give more consistence to the paper.
When you use acrylic and MC is best to use on porous paper.

I dont use liquid acrylic polymer emulsion because i dont find this.

Also you can use ink, this can be buy from art store.

Giro.