Time on more than complex models.

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...

How long does it take you to fold a super/ultra/mega complex model such as Satoshi Kamiya's Bahamut?

0-1 hour(s)
No votes
1.5-2 hours
4%
2.5-3 hours
21%
3.5-4 hours
14%
4.5-5 hours
7%
5+ hours
18%
I have never made one
29%
day(s)/other
7%

Total votes: 28

Joe the white

Time on more than complex models.

Post by Joe the white »

Poll on time for more than complex models,how long does it take you?
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

I've only folded Bahamut once, from a 45cm sheet of tissue foil, and it took me over 6 hours. Having had the experience, though, it probably won't take me as long if I ever try it again.

There are some models that I'm never going to fold because they just look like too much of a grinding slog - Ronald Koh's cobra is one. Maybe I'm just getting old...
Jen

Post by Jen »

I haven't done any such models as of yet. Probably that before mentioned cobra will be my first. I'll let you know if and when I finish. ;)

Other simply "complex" models can take me anywhere from 3 to 5 hours, depending on how familiar I am with it.
*~Jen~*
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

Maybe I'm just getting old...
oh, I know exactly what you mean :?

in the last time, I am heavily unsatisfied with folding too complex models (like insects or stuff). I am really missing the fun in folding, and so I started to fold less complex but more fun-folding models.
the last a-bit-more-complex model was lang's dragonfly (but only, because I wanted to fold it from a 50x50cm kraftpaper).

sometimes complexity sucks, doesn't it? 8) :D 8)
Friet

Post by Friet »

I folded the bahamut for the first time 2 weeks ago. It took me more then 10 hours. Turned out very nice though.
FunkeeFolder

Post by FunkeeFolder »

Not trying to get off topic but where do you get the diagrams for the Bahamut from? Now back on topic! Complex (super, insane complex included) models take me soooooooooo long to finish, and I sometimes lose them because I put them down to take a break and I forget them until two days later I remember but there long gone of course! :cry: Maybe my next model won't be that way.....Hopefully :)
yee245

Post by yee245 »

i should start trying out the more complex origami. so far, i've only really done simple stuff by most standards, mainly since i love modular origami, and that's usually pretty easy and also since i tend to get lazy and don't finish the harder things. on my larger mudular stuff, i've spent up to 15 hours folding and assembling, but it's definitely very different from folding one super complex model. but as for the longest amount of time i've ever sat just continuously folding and not stopping, i would say about 5 hours (free time at college with nothing else to do). i was assembling one of the 555-piece tori i've made (i've made 3 so far).

i think one major problem i have is that i dont really have the best paper around to fold some of these things. most of my modular stuff, well, all of it actually colored copy paper. other than one pack of kami paper (9¾") and rolls of that big paper, the largest i ever usually use for stuff is 8½" paper.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

FunkeeFolder wrote:Not trying to get off topic but where do you get the diagrams for the Bahamut from? Now back on topic! Complex (super, insane complex included) models take me soooooooooo long to finish, and I sometimes lose them because I put them down to take a break and I forget them until two days later I remember but there long gone of course! :cry: Maybe my next model won't be that way.....Hopefully :)
bahamus 2 our (Kamiya Work book), ancent dragin 3
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

rockmanex6 wrote:
bahamus 2 our (Kamiya Work book), ancent dragin 3
Wow!! I haven't folded such complex figures but I can say it usually takes me an hour per roughly 80-100 steps if I don't know it, half that if I've done it before. So that hercules beetle I posted on another thread took me an hour to fold.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

it usually takes me an hour per roughly 80-100 steps
unless there isn't the so much hated sentence "repeat steps 20-100 on the other 12 flaps :lol:

Christian
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

TheRealChris wrote:
it usually takes me an hour per roughly 80-100 steps
unless there isn't the so much hated sentence "repeat steps 20-100 on the other 12 flaps :lol:

Christian
:lol: And then unfold completely!! :lol:
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

And then unfold completely!!
and refold in mirror image, with one arm tied to your back

8) :lol:

Christian