Most frustrating fold ?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
PaperMate

Most frustrating fold ?

Post by PaperMate »

Hi,

I've recently joined the Forum and I'm new to Origami too; which means that EVERYTHING's a challenge and even the simplest of models offer some degree of satisfaction upon completion.
Anyway 3 little questions for y'all :

1.. First model folded ? (surely everyone remembers their first)
2.. Most frustrating model folded/attempted ? :x
3.. Which of the forum's members has been folding the longest ?
(Come on own up ! Liars need not apply)

PS Did anyone gather results for favourite model and come up with an overall favourite, statistically ? Just curious :?:
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

hi,

1. the flapping bird (of course *g*)
2. too many to count :)
3. around 6 years. hard to answer, because I stopped folding for a couple of years when I was younger.

greetings

Christian
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Hello,

1.My Swan
2.Robert Lang's butterfly, I tried it out of kami on my first try a few years back and failed on the sinks, I tried again with foil wrapping paper and succeeded.
3.about 9 years

Usually the Kawasaki Rose is the most popular and on the majority of origamists favorite models list somewhere.
gilad_zn

Post by gilad_zn »

1) I'm really not sure. There are so many "origami" models that aren't considered, well, "origami", at first. I guess the classic paper airplane was one of the first. Also the classic boat from a newspaper, the instruction to which I read in the book "Curious George Rides a Bike".

2) Lang's butterfly, also. It heads my list of "Origami Models from Hell". Unlike Joe the White, I folded it from kami, and later failed with tissue-foil.

3) Hmm... I started folding 13 years ago, but from around 11 years ago to about last year I didn't fold much. Maybe you should ask how many folding hours we have :wink:
Cheers!
Gilad Naor
https://blog.giladnaor.com
OrigamiMagiro
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiMagiro »

1. Paper airplane as well.

2. Wow, I may have to agree with the others on Lang's butterfly. Springing into Action is pretty frustrating, but much more satisfying.

3. I first folded some origami frogs with my grandmother around 4 or 5 years old. That would be, what, 11 or 12 years?

Kawasakie Rose, definately.
bshuval

Post by bshuval »

1. First model folded? Good question. Probably the first model on the first page of Harbin's "Origami 1" (my first book). I think it was the house.

2 Most frustrating model? Well, when I was a child of 8, I had a hard time folding a petal fold from Harbin's instructions. So at the time that was very frustrating, and also very satisfying when I first managed it. So that might have been the model I felt most frustration of. Later, I had tried to fold Kawasaki's rose from Kasahara's instructions and failed miserably. It took me quite some time to succeed in folding that. Today I don't have frustrating models. I simply don't get frustrated. I fold for fun, so I couldn't give a damn if I cannot fold something. Although I agree with the other's that Lang's butterfly is a very difficult and annoying model.

3. I've been folding since I was about 8, so that would make my folding repertoire to be something like 16 years. However, while I have always been an avid folder, I became a serious enthusiast only 3-4 years ago. Until then I was a very casual folder, (and folded only out of 10cm chromo paper sheets, BTW). Since, I have taken my love for origami to another level.

As for favorite model - it is Fujimoto's cube for me. Although there are some close contenders (e.g. Kawasaki's rose, The flapping bird, etc.)
Frydrych

Post by Frydrych »

1. First model folded?

Probably paper plane or traditional boat.

2 Most frustrating model?

There were couple of them.

My first Kawasaki's rose from Winson Chan's diagram.

Charles Esseltine's dragon. There is one step that troubles many people.

Two days ago I tried to fold Jason Ku's gryphon from CP and I managed to collapse head and wings but as for body I couldn't cope with it so I put it off. However I'll go back to it when I find some time. I won't give up!!

3. How long?

I folded first paper plane probably in the kindergarten (18 years ago). However real origami adventure has begun when I discovered it on the internet and that was about 2 years ago.

4 favourite model?

Joisel's rat, Komatsu's owl, Kawasaki's rose
Greg, Grzegorz actually, but try to pronounce it
saj

Post by saj »

Hi, and welcome to the board :-)

1) I guess it was an airplane or a boat. My first known fold would be the traditional waterbomb though.

2) The first frustrating fold would be Phun den Tuyen's spider. I didn't know what a combination fold was, and the model took me two years to figure out. I also hated the Spring into Action, but after I bought Robert Lang's Action Origami I managed to get a good working model first time:-)

3) Been folding for around 8 years. (I'm 19).

Favourite models: nearly all by Hideo Komatsu, Kawasaki Rose, Spring into Action by Jeff Beynon and the traditional flappingbird :-)

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
PaperMate

Post by PaperMate »

Thanks for your replies, Guys....very interesting!

I guess it's no surprise that the Kawasaki Rose is a major contender for favourite model. It's simply a beautiful model with great form. When I gain greater digital dexterity I'll attempt it myself.
I'm not familiar with 'Spring into Action' but I'd guess that some of the action models can prove difficult. I suppose it depends on whichever diagram one uses, to a great extent. Obviously some are easier to follow.
Anyway I'll keep at it and who knows :?: maybe someday I'll be as proficient with paper as you incredibly talented, exceptionally creative folk :wink: Creep!
PS. newbie-error No1: I meant to post my original message in the 'general' section :oops: Sorry Saj.
*NIC*
justin

Post by justin »

o come on! the butterfly isnt THAT hard....more like.hmm....i dunno lol....
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

1. First model folded?

My Grandpa taught me how to fold a crane when I was five or six

2. Most Frustrating/Difficult model folded/attempted?

I would have to say Lang's praying mantis. It gave me more lingering frustration than any other specific fold

3. Which of the forum's members has been folding longest?

Please clarify the question. I've been folding, as I said, since I was five. On the other hand, I daresay either christian or saj has logged more folding hours. I don't fold constantly, just as a hobbiest.
Last edited by cybermystic on April 25th, 2005, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dioniso

Post by Dioniso »

1) flapping bird
2) David Derudas Cobra, I started to fold it 2 years ago, I'm at 10% now...
3)So! How old are you Cyber...?
I also started at five, my father bought to my older brother 2 Robert Harbin's book, at seven I could fold everything but 2 models: the jackstone, and the kentucky horse. Took me years to manage those models.
Anyway I'm almost 26 now, so it has been 21 years...
But starded with supercomplex model only from a few years.

bye
Dioniso
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

I'm 25, which means I've been folding for twenty years. Personally, I won't claim to be the best, the oldest, or even the most veteran folder here. There are more people than I can count that can top me on the complex folds, and I only have a few of my own designs.

As I said, I'm naught but a mere hobbiest. I fold for the fun of it.
Friet

Post by Friet »

1: Paper airplane. (lots of cranes after that)
2: Anibal Voyer's 3 headed dragon. I tried it twice and I found out both times at the very end that I had the layers of the head in the wrong order :(
3: I've been folding for more then a year now, but I've only found these forums a while ago.

I don't really have a favourite model. I like Anibal Voyer's horse a lot though. It's not very complex, it looks nice and I can fold it by heart. Handy for when I'm bored in class.
MeadowMuffin

Post by MeadowMuffin »

1. First model: paper cup

2. Most frustrating: Lang's Butterfly

3. Time folding: 30 years