ORIPA

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Brimstone
Buddha

Re: ORIPA

Post by Brimstone »

I'm pretty sdure it has to do with the local configuration you have. For oripa to work, you need to have some configurations in English. Check this same thread earlier messages and you'll find the solution.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Re:

Post by Swapnil Das »

mike352 wrote:Hmmm ... how about this, just to check that everything is working fine, even if double-clicking on it doesn't work:

Open up the Windows Command Prompt (In XP, go to Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt)

Go to the directory that contains the java.exe file. I used this command:

Code: Select all

cd "c:Program FilesJavajre1.6.0_07bin"
I'm using the latest version of Java 6, hence the 6.0_07 above. You might need to substitute your exact directory there.

Then, place the oripa031.jar somewhere easy to access, for example, place a copy in the C: directory.

Now type the following command:

Code: Select all

java -jar c:oripa031.jar
That should run it, even if double-clicking on it doesn't.

I used this way too. But it still doesn't work.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
gamag

Post by gamag »

When you do the command line stuff, you should at least get an error message. Could you post the command prompt output?
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

I deleted everything I downloaded for Oripa. Including Java. I don't want to use it anymore.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

does anyone know how to cut a regular hexagon in oripa? I want to draw the cp of spead hex tesselation c:
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Mir Numaan wrote:does anyone know how to cut a regular hexagon in oripa? I want to draw the cp of spead hex tesselation c:
You can draw any shape and then change the edges from being regular creases to "cut".

Start with the auxiliary grid as 4 x 4 (the default one)

Make an auxiliary crease over the first horizontal gridline (the one marking the first 1/4) extending exactly its whole lenght. Repeat with the 3rd horizontal gridline.

Draw a mountain crease (it could be a valley but I'll use mountains) starting at the center of the top edge and with a lenght of 500 and the angle as -30, Repeat but change the angle to 210

Draw a mountain crease starting at the center of the bottom edge with a lenght of 500 and with an angle of 30. Repeat but change the angle to 150. I will call these lines the 30 ° lines.

Draw vertical mountain creases joining the intersections of the horizontal auxiliary lines and the lines at 30 ° . Delete all extra creases including the original edges of the square.

Change the mountains into "Cut".

Or if this seems difficult, just pm me an email address than can receive attachments and I'll send you the file.

You'll get:

Last edited by Brimstone on February 15th, 2014, 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tschobigami

Post by tschobigami »

You can construct it yourself using the tool where you can input lines at any lenght and angle. I dont know if there is any nicer way to construct a regular hexagon.
Or you could just use that file: http://mitani.cs.tsukuba.ac.jp/oripa/sa ... tanaka.opx
found on mitanis website, cut the hexagon and erase all other lines
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

thanks a lot Brimstone! you are a genius! where from did you learn this method? i love it! it was really fun! :D
here is mine :mrgreen:
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

tschobigami: thanks dude! but the file is opening in some weird XML format :( i don't remember how did i download opx files :cry:
EDIT: i got it :mrgreen:
btw, do you guys know how to cut other things like pentagons, decagons, irregular hexagons...... etc?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Mir Numaan: You're welcome. I learned that method from a small booklet teaching Ishibashi's Crystal which is made from a hexagon.

As for the other shapes you request, you can Google "making a ... from a square" and replicate the method in Oripa. You could start with the pentagon based on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83nKgFUiu-M
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

thanks Brimstone! Btw, i was unable to draw the cp for the spread hex tesselation :( mine hexagon was not perfect
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I just thought of a method to build any regular polygon.

1. Erase the edges of the original square.
2. Find something I called the "adding angle" according to the polygon you want to build (360 / # sides)
3. Find half of the starting angle = 90 - adding angle so starting angle
4. Starting at the center of the top edge of the original square (you should keep the original 4 x 4 grid), draw a mountain fold of 200 in lenght and minus the starting angle
5. At the end of the previous crease, draw a mountain fld of the same lenght (200) and minus (startting angle + adding angle)
6. repeat until the polygon is closed.

For a pentagon:

The adding angle is 360/5= 72
The starting angle is 2 x (90 -72) = 36 (remember you need to input -36)
And the following angles (remember they need to be negative) are: 108, 180, 252 and 324

And you'll get:
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

hello, i just drew the cp for spread hexagon tessellation but my oripa isn't reacting when i click on check window. i even unchecked the full estimation box but nothing happens :cry:
here is the file
https://www.mediafire.com/?8y77wbte7746enn
please help
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

does anyone know how to draw a black and white cp in oripa?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Mir Numaan wrote:does anyone know how to draw a black and white cp in oripa?
What does this even mean?