ORIPA

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origamimasterjared
Buddha

ORIPA

Post by origamimasterjared »

ORIPA is awesome. That is all.

So, I remembered that I had downloaded ORIPA by Jun Mitani a while back. I remember trying it out, not being able to figure it out and quitting. Today I decided to play around with it.

It's great!! It is truly made specifically for drawing (and modeling!!) origami crease patterns. The tools aren't very standard, but they are kind of nice. For instance, it took me forever to figure out how to draw the 22.5 degree angles I need. Then I discovered a tool that given three vertices draws the angle bisectors of the triangle they form--AKA the rabbit ear triangular molecule that we always use. It gives you the three bisecting creases (It's your job to determine where the hinge goes. Remember, a flat-foldable crease pattern may not have an odd number of creases intersecting except on the edge of the square.)

All right, so you can draw a crease pattern pretty quickly with ORIPA. Next, you can change the creases from mountain (solid blue, default) to valley (dashed red), and even to genderless crease (light grey). To this click change line type, and then click each crease you want to change.

Next, basically the whole point of ORIPA, click Fold… and see your crease pattern formed into the base. Well, unless you made sure to carefully obey Maekawa and Kawasaki's theorems, it will probably say you have problems, and then it will show you where the problems are. Add the necessary creases, change their orientations where needed and click Fold… again. There it is. That's hopefully what the base of your model looks like. There are some errors, where certain layers of paper appear either in front or behind where they should be, but the shape is definitely correct.

You can use this to model your crease patterns, even without folding them!

Here's a link to his website, I think, but it's not currently working: http://mitani.cs.tsukuba.ac.jp/
Yannick GARDIN

Post by Yannick GARDIN »

Can you see the folded figure ?
For me, it works until Oripa version 15. In the following, when I click on "Fold", nothing happens.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Yeah, when I correct all the creases so that it is indeed flat-foldable by Maekawa and Kawasaki's theorems, it gives me a picture of the base, similar to how Treemaker 5 does. I'm using version 0.16 of ORIPA.

Edit: Here's Jun Mitani's website: http://mitani.cs.tsukuba.ac.jp/pukiwiki-en/

ORIPA is up to version 0.20 for English, 0.26 for Japanese.
Finward

Post by Finward »

I have the same problem. I have Oripa v0.26, all the tools, all the lines are perfect, but i can use only the fold tool th check that there are no mistakes, because i cant see the folded form.
ori_natic

Post by ori_natic »

I can't seem to download it. Whenever I hit download, I just get a page of random jibberish.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but several thousand electrons were sorely inconvenienced.
aspiringFolder

how to down load

Post by aspiringFolder »

ori_natic, you down load the program by right clicking on the link and choosing the 'Save As' option from the popup menu. Of course if you are using a button Mac mouse you will need to go another route.
<-- HE is here! Those who search for signs will find them.
islandmassive

Post by islandmassive »

doesent work on vista :(
ImageImageImage
origamimasterjared
Buddha

If you are on a Mac, you can ctrl-click the link, then download/save link as (depending upon your browser).

islandmassive, it's a Java app. Why wouldn't it work on Vista?
islandmassive

Post by islandmassive »

ive tried it, it just doesent load [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

(i think some of the smileys are broken because i tried to use the one above and it took me to a 404 page)
ImageImageImage
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Have you installed the Java Runtime Engine 1.5 and the Java3D API as is listed in the requirements for Oripa?
You should be able to download both from http://java.sun.com/
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
islandmassive

Post by islandmassive »

no im an idiot i didnt install the 3d thing! hay this is a realy cool little app now if this came with preinstalled crease paterns it would be even cooler!!!!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

You can download several CPs as ORIPA-files from here.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
islandmassive

Post by islandmassive »

ok this now officialy the coolest software for origami!! there should be something similar to this but it shows you the steps to create the final piece just from a scaned copy of the cp so then creators could like all conform to one set of specifications and so instead of diagraming they could just produce oripa files
ori_natic

Post by ori_natic »

Thanks for the tip. I got it to work. I haven't really tested it out yet though
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but several thousand electrons were sorely inconvenienced.
mike352

Post by mike352 »

How do I export crease patterns as a graphics file instead of the Oripa file types?