ORIPA

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

mike352 wrote:As I mentioned earlier, all of Oripa is the file oripa031.jar. When I double-click on it, Java opens it directly, but others are getting a folder. The problem seems to be that the program you normally use for unzipping files (say, WinZip or WinRAR) is trying to unzip oripa031.jar.

What you'll need to do is change the way Windows handles .jar type files. You can right-click on the file, and go to Open With ... to see what program it's currently using to open it, and change it to Java, or alternatively, you can use this method:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 902,00.asp
They both do the same thing.
i have done what you said but when i click on to it nothing happens, is it because i am using JRE 5.0???
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Hmmm ... how about this, just to check that everything is working fine, even if double-clicking on it doesn't work:

Open up the Windows Command Prompt (In XP, go to Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt)

Go to the directory that contains the java.exe file. I used this command:

Code: Select all

cd "c:Program FilesJavajre1.6.0_07bin"
I'm using the latest version of Java 6, hence the 6.0_07 above. You might need to substitute your exact directory there.

Then, place the oripa031.jar somewhere easy to access, for example, place a copy in the C: directory.

Now type the following command:

Code: Select all

java -jar c:oripa031.jar
That should run it, even if double-clicking on it doesn't.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

i just can't get my head around this :cry: but thanks so much for helping :D :D , is there any other progarms that is as good as this one??
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Most origami artists use other programs to make crease patterns and diagrams. A quick search on the forum for diagramming software will come up with a lot of suggestions, for example:
viewtopic.php?t=4597

I'm not sure how to answer your question about how good they are in comparison to Oripa. Other programs are much more general. Oripa is specialized to origami, and specifically for drawing crease patterns. It's quite intuitive and fast to use. But, exporting it as a picture is not easy, and it can't draw diagrams.

I don't know too much about other software, so I can't comment too much on them.
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

chesslo wrote:
mike352 wrote:As I mentioned earlier, all of Oripa is the file oripa031.jar. When I double-click on it, Java opens it directly, but others are getting a folder. The problem seems to be that the program you normally use for unzipping files (say, WinZip or WinRAR) is trying to unzip oripa031.jar.

What you'll need to do is change the way Windows handles .jar type files. You can right-click on the file, and go to Open With ... to see what program it's currently using to open it, and change it to Java, or alternatively, you can use this method:
i have done what you said but when i click on to it nothing happens, is it because i am using JRE 5.0???
JRE 5.0 is ok
To be able to start the jar file by doublecliccking on it you need to download and install also Java 3D 1.5.1 API (as suggested by the author in his webstite :wink: )

Here the dowload page for Java3D
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
mike352

Post by mike352 »

I was able today to import an Oripa generated .dxf file into AutoCAD, and all the colors were preserved, as opposed to when I import it into Google SketchUp. I then was able to save the CP as a JPEG and other image file types.

By the way, for the forum members who are students, you can download a free student version of AutoCAD at the website of Autodesk. As a warning, it takes forever to download it and install.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

OrigamiGianluca wrote:
chesslo wrote:

JRE 5.0 is ok
To be able to start the jar file by doublecliccking on it you need to download and install also Java 3D 1.5.1 API (as suggested by the author in his webstite :wink: )

Here the dowload page for Java3D
ya, i have download that already :? but still not working :cry:
mike352

Post by mike352 »

What happened when you tried the Windows Command Prompt method?
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

nothing as well :cry: :x
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

i think i will pass on this program, its getting me a headache looking at the computer screen and trying to figure this out, i might email the author and ask him about this problem :wink:
mike352

Post by mike352 »

That sounds like a good idea :)
dziku

Post by dziku »

I have problem. Oripa didn't show simulation effects only this statistic pop-up window do anyone know what to do with this? There is no error message, and I install all necessary libraries.
nonkelgans

Post by nonkelgans »

dziku wrote:I have problem. Oripa didn't show simulation effects only this statistic pop-up window do anyone know what to do with this? There is no error message, and I install all necessary libraries.
Same problem here, no preview screen, only a statistics.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

i think you should email the author
here is his email address: mitanics.tsukuba.ac.jp :D
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

Definitively this software has some problems

It has just told to me that a simple square base (valley diagonals and mountain median) it is not foldable :shock: :?:

And this time I've checked carefully not to exceed from the square borders and not to have any wrong fold.

I think it is good for CP tracing since its origami-oriented drawing tools, but not for simulating.
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!