ORIPA

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

dragon man wrote:Downloaded all the java and the application in 3 minutes, opened it and it worked perfectly :D
Even the animation window? Lucky man!
Could you tell us which version of all software you have dowloaded and installed?
TKS

SK-37, on windows FIRST you have to enable the view of the files extensions, otherwise you will not able to see the difference between a zip file or a jar file.
Then download and install JRE and Java 3D (as told in the oripa website).

Only after those installations you can run with a double click the oripa jar file saved on your computer.
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

urmmm ok.......ORIPA033

java3d-1_5_1

version: java 6 update 11

Operating system: Windows XP
Default browser: firefox

Hope that helps :)
OrigamiGianluca

Thank you dragon man.
They were the same I've dowloanded too...

After another trying of uninstall and install the things don't change. :?: :?: :?:

I'm about to give up... :roll:

dragon man

Post by dragon man »

OrigamiGianluca have you got the latest version of oripa??
if you have try an older version that might work also as was said before if you try a complex CP it hangs for afew moments. So if you have an older computer it may just be loading it but very slowly.

SK-37 what operating system are you running ?

:)
EDIT: if all else fails try the old hit the computer with a sledge hammer technique :wink:
Last edited by dragon man on December 9th, 2008, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrigamiGianluca

Thank you for the suggestion dragon man.
I'm already using the latest version of ORIPA (33) on a very recent and powerfull computer (bought just for 3D CAD and rendering)

I've also checked the setting of my graphic board, and it seams that it is all OK (indeed other java 3D application work properly)

I'm sure that it would be a problem between windows and java and oripa, but I can't see were it is :evil:

SK-37

Post by SK-37 »

OrigamiGianluca wrote:
dragon man wrote:Downloaded all the java and the application in 3 minutes, opened it and it worked perfectly :D
Even the animation window? Lucky man!
Could you tell us which version of all software you have dowloaded and installed?
TKS

SK-37, on windows FIRST you have to enable the view of the files extensions, otherwise you will not able to see the difference between a zip file or a jar file.Then download and install JRE and Java 3D (as told in the oripa website).

Only after those installations you can run with a double click the oripa jar file saved on your computer.
thanks for the help but i dont know what that actually means, what do i actually do to solve that? sorry for being dumb but im kinda new to this type of computer work...

also im using microsoft windows xp, internet explorer browser
My Flickr Website is growing! //www.flickr.com/photos/sk-37/
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Hi SK-37,

This is what it means. Before you try to use ORIPA, you need to first download and install Java and the Java 3D API:

Java:
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Java 3D API:
http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/java3d/

Once you install these, then you'll be able to use the file oripa033.jar that you downloaded. At that time, when you double-click on the oripa033 file, it won't open up folders, etc. It will simply run the program.

Mike
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I have downloaded Java and Java 3D API, but I still can't get the jar file to open. Firefox won't even save the file-it just treats it as a hyperlink. Internet Explorer will actually save the program for me, but it treats it as a .zip file, and the program still won't open. Any suggestions?
OrigamiGianluca

Jonnycakes wrote:I have downloaded Java and Java 3D API
Has the installation of those two components gone well? Any warnings for example from firewall or antivisrus softwares?

If all has gone good, maybe your windows associates jar files to your zip software. So, if you are able to do it, you have to change this association from zip software to java.

Otherwise you can open a command prompt windows, go in the folder you have the oripa jar file in, and tipe the following:

java -jar oripaXXX.jar

(XXX are the number of your version of oripa)

Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Hahaha I finally got it to work! Command Prompt it seems is the only way. I did some searching, and apparently IE will automatically rename .jar files as .zip files because they are so similar. The Java installation went fine, and my computer associates .jar files with Java, but for some reason Command Prompt is the only thing that seems to work.

I did some searching and found a post on Eric Gjerde's site that worked-this is what I had to do:

Save the file with IE (I had to manually rename it as a .jar file, since IE wanted to save it as a .zip).

Change the directory in Command Prompt to where the .jar file was saved, which for me was on my desktop (chdir desktop)

And then...

"C:Program FilesJavajre1.6.0_04binjava" -jar oripa033.jar

the jre1.6.0_04 and oripa033.jar will need to be changed as they are updated to different versions.

Well, that was a pain, but it actually works! Now to see what Oripa is really made of...
OrigamiGianluca

Jonnycakes wrote: the jre1.6.0_04 and oripa033.jar will need to be changed as they are updated to different versions..
What do you mean? :?:

Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Means that when the versions of files jre1.6.0_04 and oripa033.jar will change, so will the name of the string to execute the action
SK-37

Post by SK-37 »

Yea!!!!!

finally got it to work as i downloaded oripa and saved it with the name "oripa033.jar".

all i did was add ".jar" onto the end of it and that has made it work!

Thank you sooooo much mike352, dragonman, OrigamiGianluca, Brimstone and Jonnycakes for helping me out try to get it to work.

this forum has the most friendliest people that actually consider and try to help people in need.

jonnycakes last idea was the one that triggered oripa to work so great thanks goes to you jonnycakes.

and also everyone else trying to help me!
My Flickr Website is growing! //www.flickr.com/photos/sk-37/
mike352

Post by mike352 »

:D

Congratulations Jonnycakes and SK-37!

The finding about Internet Explorer and it changing the .jar to .zip seems to be the key were missing earlier - I'm glad it finally got solved! :)
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Oripa seems to be pretty finicky. I tried it out a little bit, and I am not sure exactly how to get it to work with more complex crease patterns (i.e. not box-pleated :lol: ). I understand (and love) the angle bisector , fill in a triangle molecule, and reflect a crease across a line tools, but I am not entirely sure how to get some lines that I want. It seems like a powerful tool, but it could perhaps use a better interface. I will mess around with it some more and see what I can do.