ORIPA

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

I'm still having problem with this soft.
I've done a step forword, since now I can draw CP and when I click on "Fold..." it tells me that it all ok, but it doesn't start any folding animation or screenshot of folded CP as I see in your attchments
Why? :?:

I'm using oripa33, JRE6, Java 3D
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
Adam

Post by Adam »

I have the exact same problem. I simply get the pop-up saying the process was successful, but after that I don't get a picture of the folded base or anything. Any idea what could cause this?
origami street racer

Post by origami street racer »

can someone sho me how to download oripa I can't find the download page
R.I.P Paul Grey 1972-2010
Slipkont
mike352

Post by mike352 »

OrigamiGianluca and Adam: I've found that the problem has to do with the Full Estimation - if the CP is too complex, the program hangs when trying to do the full simulation. So, simply uncheck the box below the button "Fold ..." and it should work fine.

origami street racer: http://mitani.cs.tsukuba.ac.jp/pukiwiki ... p?Download
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I have the exact same problems as OrigamiGiancula and Adam (as well as the fact that I can't open files with Oripa) with the folding option. I tried you tip with the checkbox, mike 352, and nothing happens anymore whenever I click on the fold button (by the way, I only put one diagonal mountain fold.)
Could the problem be linked with the version of Oripa we're using? I'll try downloading an older version of it tomorrow to check it out.
SK-37

Post by SK-37 »

oh ok, i get no help.

just wish i could make oripa work on my computer, class files are weird
My Flickr Website is growing! //www.flickr.com/photos/sk-37/
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Hi SK-37, sorry you got neglected. Welcome to the forum!

I'm not quite sure how to help you with installing Java. I seem to remember having a program install Java on my computer instead of just having folders and files.

As for ORIPA, you need to keep it as a file and not treat it as a zip file, that is, don't try to extract files and folders from it. Simply download the file oripa033.jar and use it as it is.

If Java is installed correctly on your machine, clicking on the oripa033.jar file will start the program. Otherwise, it might try to extract out files and folders from it, as I mentioned.

I hope this helps. Also, try reading through some of the earlier comments on this thread.
OrigamiGianluca

Sunburst wrote:I tried you tip with the checkbox, mike 352, and nothing happens anymore whenever I click on the fold button (by the way, I only put one diagonal mountain fold.)
Just the same form me (I was using the waterbomb base, that is two mountain diagonals and one valley median).

mike352

Post by mike352 »

In general, it's good to always press the "Check Window" button before trying the "Fold" button to see if the program thinks there's a problem or not. Problem areas will show up as bright red squares at vertices related to the problem.

I've been able to debug crease patterns that way, more easily. Here's a common problem I had initially when I couldn't figure out why it wasn't folding and why I kept getting problem areas even though the pattern looked fine: somewhere I had placed two creases exactly in the same spot. When I first started using ORIPA and I wanted to change a crease from mountain to valley, say, instead of using the AlterLineType option or deleting the line and making a new one, I would just create a new line over the old line. In particular, if I had made an Aux type line, I didn't see why this would have been a problem.

However, ORIPA treats all lines as actual fold lines, even Aux lines in some sense. And, placing two lines on top of each other makes ORIPA want to do two opposite things at the same time at those places. So, you can check for something like this in your patterns, if it applies. At the least, use the Check Window always before using the Fold button.
Note: I'm using versions 0.30 and 0.33
OrigamiGianluca

mike, it is true that the first issue in a troubleshooting section usually is:

PROBLEM: The machine doesn't start
SOLUTION: Is the plug in?

but we are telling you that we are checking OPRIPA with very simple CP (from one to three folds)
Do you really think we could do such a mistake with 3 folds? :wink:

mike352

Post by mike352 »

Hi Gianluca,
Sorry - I just think it's always worth to check the basics before thinking of more complicated Java type problems.

Even though it's 3 folds, I had a basically 3 fold pattern that wouldn't fold precisely because I had placed a second line on top of another. I was working on a larger CP and it wouldn't fold no matter what. So, I started deleting line after line, and in the end it still wouldn't fold with only about 3 lines! That's when I learned not to place two lines on top of each other. So, even though it's silly, it's worth it to mention such things and always check.

Also, earlier in this thread you showed us a pattern where there was a point outside of the square, and lines weren't matching up with other lines correctly. These things could also happen even in a waterbomb base.

However, I imagine that the real problem has something to do with Java needing more memory to calculate everything. I'm not a computer science expert, so I'm limited in how much I can help beyond these suggestions already.
OrigamiGianluca

Don't be sorry! :)
Remembering about the obvious is often usefull :wink:
mike352 wrote:
Also, earlier in this thread you showed us a pattern where there was a point outside of the square, and lines weren't matching up with other lines correctly. These things could also happen even in a waterbomb base.
You are right!
I have started with a quite difficult CP in relation to my skillness in drawing with oripa.
After that I've also understood that just 3 folds are enough for the folded waterbomb base (at the beginning I was sure of 4)
So I was dodoing some mistakes, and thatìs why I've start over again from a single line CP.

By the way I've tried oripa with the same result also on a very updated computer (intel quad) with a very powerfull graphic board.

dragon man

Post by dragon man »

Downloaded all the java and the application in 3 minutes, opened it and it worked perfectly :D
SK-37

oripa

Post by SK-37 »

ok cheers mike, but its still the same.

i double click on the link to download it, at http://mitani.cs.tsukuba.ac.jp/pukiwiki ... p?Download

a mini window comes up to say 'do you want to open or save this file?' the actual file picture shows a zipped folder.

i opened and saved the file many times to see any difference.
i dont extract anything and the end result is 3 folders named oripa, META-INF and icon, with another 3 files named oripa, META-INF and icon.

i search through the folders and there is all the files used in the ORIPA program, the files all end in '.class'.

One of the files is named ORIPA, i double click it and a black window the same as the command prompt window appears for less than one second then it disappears and then nothing happens after that.

ive tried clicking on everything and nothing works. it isnt extracted so i dont know what the problem is...
My Flickr Website is growing! //www.flickr.com/photos/sk-37/
Ray

Post by Ray »

SK-37, you shouldn't extract the .jar file. The file should be able to run on its own, or you should be able to use a java interpreter. On a Mac, you can double click it, but I'm not sure what you have to do on Windows.

-Ray