Who is your favorite origamist?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by insaneorigami »

Hands down, origmaimasterjared!

although these are amazing, they fall far short of origamimasterjared's capabilitys: robert lang, Brian Chan, Satoshi Kamiya
arnorigami

Post by arnorigami »

Eric Joisel has published a booklet called "3D MASKS & BUSTS". It is a really good introduction to the design and shaping of faces.

You can order it from http://www.britishorigami.info as soon as the new version of their supply page is online.
Arno
barakboom

Post by barakboom »

Wow that is great!, it actually explains how to do his masks?!
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Well of course I love myself. I'm so amazing, like I don't have books but I suck so much it's hard not to be impressed. I'm kidding.
I'm really not sure robert lang?
Wizmatt

Post by Wizmatt »

I really admire Brian Chan and Robert Lang for their amazing and complex work. But I'd have to say that my favorite Origami artist is Eric Joisel, purely for the life that he breathes into his models (especially because they are mostly box pleated)

It's a shame that a lot of his works aren't diagramed, but I guess that's why his models are so special.

Ah..maan. I just read through some more on this thread and I've come up with a load more designers that I really like. Here's a few:

Bernie Peyton, because of the passion for what he does and how he puts it into his designs.

Roman Diaz, great models with life that aren't over complex.

Quentin Trollip, numerous great models, and also for the fact that he doesn't use compicated maths when designing his models.

Sipho Mabona, amazing work and very presice.

Jared Needle, he's awesome!

The list goes on; Hideo Komatsu, Hojyo Takashi, Nguyen Hung Cuong, Seth Friedman, Giang Dinh....... oh and Chad Killeen.
Last edited by Wizmatt on April 6th, 2009, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

My faves are Jeremy Shafer, Brian Chian, Kamiya Satoshi and Nicolas Terry
JOHNg

Post by JOHNg »

Love the works of Nicolas Terry and Roman Diaz but my over all favorite is Quentin Trollip. I always keep an eye out to see his next piece of art. :D
You can't just fold one!
InsomniacFolder

Post by InsomniacFolder »

Can I also give a mention to RedPaper, Seo Won Seon, whose Flickr page is full of very original and lyrical creations. He has some great ideas.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/origamist/

And, yes, Quentin, for me, is the soul of current origami - I don't know of a single folder that doesn't love his work - it breathes like Yoshizawa-san's.
Also, though very technical, his models, never seem as though they've been designed to within an inch of their life, everything seems organic, what Kasahara-san would call rhythmical, natural.

(Also, after my niece's Girl Guide troop folded one of his models at a meeting, they went online to check more models, saw his Rock Climbing pictures, and are now all Trollip Groupies)
"Had we but world enough and time..."
StarPartener

Post by StarPartener »

My favorites are probably Hojyo Takashi, Satoshi Kamiya, Hideo Komatsu, and Nguyen Hung Cuong.
steingar

Post by steingar »

Of course my favorite folder is me, and I'm my wife's favorite, or so I'm told. My books are way funnier than anyone else's, and nobody else can pilot an airplane, which automatically makes me better. In case you didn't know.
飛竜

so difficult to say

Post by 飛竜 »

I used to do origami back where I was born when I was about 7 but back then
no internet
no libraries that carried books published from outside the country
so I stopped
now i started folding again last january at age 22 when I saw the most gorgeous figure my eyes laid on phoenix 3.5 this time aided by good bookstores and internet.
back when i was little no such designs as captivating existed
so kamiya holds a certain spell on me

my favorites are:

kamiya satoshi
hojyo takashi
román díaz
my username is 飛竜...
flickr
Cephalopod

Post by Cephalopod »

Giang Dinh, Eric Joisel, Roman Diaz, Joel Cooper, Joseph Wu :)

Noboru Miyajima has some very cool models as well, like the Marlin and Water Buffalo.

They are the people who inspire my folding the most.
Visit my flickr gallery! Please :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38104997@N08/