Who is your favorite origamist?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Moonspinner

Post by Moonspinner »

1.) Komatsu
2.) Joseph Wu
3.) Joisel
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Okay, I just want to add my opinion and clarify some points regarding all the Kamiya and origami anime hate.

First of all, you should know that Final Fantasy and Romancing Saga are in no way animes : they are video games. I believe that people who folds something from a video game, or an anime for that matter, just want to combine two things they like a lot (I seriously doubt that Kamiya hates video games if he folded so much models from those subjects). What's wrong with that? Does every origami creation has to be something totally original and artistic to be considered good?

Just another thing : ahudson, out of the three you mentionned, Bahamut is the only model that truly comes from a video game. It is not because the ancient dragon and phoenix are fantasy creatures that they necessarily come from a specific video game.

Now, back on topic, my favorite origamists would probably be, in no particular order, Satoshi Kamiya, Robert Lang, Eric Joisel and Brian Chan.
ORI_Q

Post by ORI_Q »

So difficult to answer this question,^^
I like very very very very many Origami Authors. Each author gives me a unique feel about their works, though, I do not like all of their works. Oh also so difficult to list all names^^. I hope in future, I could go around the world and meet all them^^, So wonderful if that day become true^^

But, if required to answer, my most favorite Authors are Akira Yoshizawa and Neal Elias. If possible to wish, above all, I wish could meet them and talk about Origami with them. And I think, This is the wish of almost people here
^^
Let papers say your heart!
H.T.Quyet
ORI_Q's Flickr
Max

Post by Max »

1st:Komatsu, because of his intelligent, elegant designs and diagrams.
2nd: Roman Diaz. Besides Yoshizawa no one knows better how to create such lifelike animals. I mean Lang also knows how to create lifelike animals, but he cant let them really come alive. Diaz adds a personality to his animals :-)
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

You guys are sorta blowing this out of proportion-- I didn't say Kamiya is awful or anything. I just said he was "a little overrated". I think he gets a little too much hero-worship, and there are plenty of superb folders that hardly get any attention at all from the origami mainstream... Joel Cooper for instance. http://www.flickr.com/photos/origamijoel/

Now, I have a reputation to defend:
Satoshi's phoenix is a depiction directly from a Manga series by Osamu Tezuka, entitled Pheonix; the resemblance is unmistakable to anyone who's read it. I'm referencing specifically the second volume of the series, I haven't read the others.

Ancient Dragon, I think was from Final Fantasy... not sure about that. Regardless, the style is unmistakably anime; the head details don't appear on traditional depictions of the dragon, either western or eastern.

Romancing Saga and Final Fantasy both use the anime/manga drawing style to illustrate their chracters. Stylistically, they ARE anime.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

My favorite origami artist is me, because I'm awesome.
romane

Post by romane »

:D/ go jared :lol:

i think my favorit artist would be lang, but i'm not sure
Robert Lang: You take an idea, combine it with a square, and you get an origami figure.
ptrckngn

who is your favorite origamist?

Post by ptrckngn »

satoshi kamiya!
addie_goodvibes

Re: Who is your favorite origamist?

Post by addie_goodvibes »

marvz wrote:Tomoko Fuse. :)
right on! Tomoko Fuse's work in modulars and boxes is amazing.

Iher book multidemsional transformations if the paperfolders bible, th eonly problem is her diagrams aren't always so easily understood, she leaves it to the reader to already be familiar with modular origami, somewhat presumtious approach, but th epossibilities are endless.
M Deutsch

Post by M Deutsch »

Robert Lang - I just respect him so much as a scientist and mathematician. My motivation and inspiration to fold :D
- Matthew
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

My favorite origami artist is origamimasterjared, because he is awesome.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
jojotoar

Post by jojotoar »

Ups.. forgot something..
Hideo Komatsu, Jeremy Shafer, Satoshi Kamiya, Joel Cooper, Daniel Naranjo, many more! This is hard!
anermak
Buddha

Post by anermak »

I have a favorite models ... Every author has a model, which were particularly well and gracefully, and have a bad models there is a model of looking at that surprised that they did this man, although then you begin to understand that this is only a fantasy theme, free sketch - impromptu, but it is a model terribly difficult, but not beautiful ... And from my favorite models

Wall-e - Brian Chen
Housemaid - Kamiya Ryo
Ryuy Zin, Cerberus and the wasp - Satoshi Kamiya,
Aquarius, Archangel, and the Tigris - Hojyo Takashi,
crayfish - Sipho Mabony,
Organist and watch -Robert Lang,
Hippo and Bodibilder - Hideo Komatsu,
Owl-Katsuty Kiohey
Eagle and the Scorpion, N. H. Quong
Winged bull, Gnom and Turtle - Eric Joisel,
The statue of Sadako - Naoto Horiguchi,
barakboom

Post by barakboom »

i agree with anermak, wall-e by Brian Chan is probably the most beautiful as its easy :D and that's why i like it.
A model that is simple and beautiful is just great!
I also like The Attack Of The karkan by Brian chan, the idea is just awesome, still i never folded it yet :P.
Also Eric Josel works are amazing, but too bad he didn't write any book of diagrams or cp's yet :P.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Akira
John motroll
and Satoshi Kamiya ,Josepth Wu , Go guspath ...