What is the Tanteindan Magazine

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
OrigamiDan

What is the Tanteindan Magazine

Post by OrigamiDan »

ive been looking through posts and ive heard a lot about this magazine. What inside of it, and if it is really good where can i purchase them.
barlou

Post by barlou »

Tanteidan magazine is a very famous origami magazine. It is Japanese and most of the time there is nothing written in english.

I 'm not sure, but I think Tanteidan is an association of origamist. There are Satoshi Kamiya, Hideo Komatsu, Fumiaki Kawahata, etc. and a lot of foreign folders in this association.

The Tanteidan Staff publish the Tanteidan Magazin every 2 month.
Most of the best origami diagrams are in it : Kamiya's Wizard (#77), Lang's Bull Moose (#81), Komatsu's Macaque (#87) ...
There is also CP of fantastic models : Kamiya's Wasp (#76), Keiichi's Winged Lion (#64) and a lot of wonderful different models.

How to subscribe ? Get to the JOAS page, this is what they said on it :

We are accepting the subscriptions for Origami Tanteidan volume 15 now.

To subscribe, send us an international postal money order for 4,000yen or US$40 with your name and address.
The price includes shipping and handling fee for all countries and regions other than Japan.
We cannot accept any bank orders, checks, drafts or credit cards.
If you are not able to get an international postal money order in your country, contact us.
You will have issues of Origami Tanteidan. It may take several weeks.
Your subscription will start at May 2004 (2005 this year) and end at March 2005 (2006).

barlou.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I disagree with the sentence "Most of the best origami diagrams are in it ". I agree, that there are a lot of good diagrams in it, but the majority of diagrams are not the big hit. regarding to the number of magazines that where published, it's understandable, that there are a lot of good diagrams within the whole number of tanteidan magazines.

Christian
bshuval

Post by bshuval »

I must say that I am increasingly annoyed by the utter admiration of complex origami in this forum. People who read this forum may get the impression that the only worthy origami creator is Satoshi Kamiya. Forum users act and talk like he is god! And why would anyone in their right mind would want to fold the Ryu-zin?

The above message claims that some of the best diagrams are in the Tanteidan magazine. This, too, implies that complex models outrule all of origami.

I can and do fold complex models. However, I have outgrown the "ooh, this looks so cool, I need diagrams for this" phase. I have learnt to appreciate that there are other things to origami apart from 100+ step diagrams.

That's what I had to say.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I must say that I am increasingly annoyed by the utter admiration of complex origami in this forum.
Hmm... I really don't know, what is wrong with this. I once wrote, that I got bored (or better said: frustrated) with too complex models, because it takes to much time, and failing in the finishing process could mean the waste of hours.

People who read this forum may get the impression that the only worthy origami creator is Satoshi Kamiya. Forum users act and talk like he is god!
I made a search for "Satoshi", and only got 28 matches within 2354 (!!!) articles. so your opinion is completely wrong.

And why would anyone in their right mind would want to fold the Ryu-zin?
go on, and quote somebody, that said, easy origami isn't worthy origami. maybe you got a wrong sight, because of our latest discussions, but this is simply wrong. nobody in this forum (or at least "the majority") would say, that easy origami isn't good origami.

The above message claims that some of the best diagrams are in the Tanteidan magazine. This, too, implies that complex models outrule all of origami.
it was only a personal opinion, not a rule or a law.

I can and do fold complex models. However, I have outgrown the "ooh, this looks so cool, I need diagrams for this" phase. I have learnt to appreciate that there are other things to origami apart from 100+ step diagrams.
the same with me. but nevertheless, I keep on collecting stuff, because I never know, what I'd like to fold next. so it's always better for me to have many diagrams to choose from.

That's what I had to say.
you're always welcome :)

Christian
barlou

Post by barlou »

Hello

-I have to say, I am wrong. Thats right, easy origami is very interesting too. In fact, I often make modular, which are qualified as <easy origami>. But I mostly prefer doing very hard models : I like to know that I'm the only one in my surroundings who is able to do it. You know, I'm only 16 so I believe I have to prove something to myself, like I can be good at something and folding hard stuff is the way I founded.
We certainly are not in the same phase.

-Satoshi Kamiya is not my idol. I prefer Hideo Komatsu, whose models are more brilliant but not really more complex.

-Notice that I didn't said < All the best origami diagrams > but <Most of the best origami diagrams >.

That's what I had to answer.

... cordially
Last edited by barlou on January 19th, 2005, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrigamiMagiro
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiMagiro »

Personally, I enjoy a certain level of detail in an origami and this usually requires complexity, but it doesn't have to. I do tend to like folding complex models more because of the things that I would like to portray with paper.

I apologize to Boaz for I may have ignited this comment. On a previous thread, I remarked that the Ryu-zin crease pattern is something "any folder should have." This I believe because it represents pure creative genius in origami design and is displayed as a beautiful work of art. With this in mind, I do agree with Boaz: I am not advocating that anyone actually fold this model, just that it is a treasured archive of brilliance.
OrigamiDan

Post by OrigamiDan »

is origami house a safe website to purchase from?
OrigamiMagiro
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiMagiro »

Yes, they are safe; unfortunately the Postal Service is not always safe. The ordering requirements for oversees is sending US dollars through the mail (cash).

Please read previous posts! They usually answer newbie questions. For Origami House ordering help, please refer here.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

Well recintly they seem lazy? this volume not as good
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

bshuval wrote:And why would anyone in their right mind would want to fold the Ryu-zin?
Heh heh. I'm glad that I'm not the only one to feel this way about that model. I mean, it looks very impressive (and the new version photographed in Origami Tanteidan 89 looks even better) but I remember reading somewhere that it takes Satoshi himself 30 hours to fold it. Personally l have no intention of folding anything that takes that long to make (and I'm sure that it would take me much longer than 30 hours).

I'm a bit disappointed that the new Kamiya book has so few new models in it. But I'm not the slightest bit concerned that the Ryu-zin isn't included.
barlou wrote:Thats right, easy origami is very interesting too. In fact, I often make modular, which are qualified as <easy origami>.
Not always. To give a few examples:
Tom Hull's FIT is difficult to construct because it's hard to see how the tetrahedrons should intersect each other.
David Mitchell's Gemini is hard to put together because it isn't stable until you put the last piece in - the tension in the model makes it try to tear itself apart.
Robert Lang's Annapurna (ten intersecting triangles) is nightmarishly difficult for both of the above reasons - it doesn't become stable until you weave in the 8th triangle (I think); before that the triangles have a tendency to collapse in a tangled mess. I found it harder to complete than any of the models in Lang's first insect book.

I suppose it would be fair to say that the folding of modules is almost always easy, but that putting them together can often be hard.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I suppose it would be fair to say that the folding of modules is almost always easy, but that putting them together can often be hard.
or even worse ;)

Christian