How do you create a model of your own design?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
benefactor08

Post by benefactor08 »

i've read lang's book on origami design and i've found that "circle packing" is really pretty easy, especially if you "cheat". i highly reccomend the book, just if you're only concerned about making more basic models, don't bother with the box pleating section. i made some pretty impressive models (including a very nice looking beetle sitting atop a leaf) with just the circle packing stuff. very simple to make and pretty nice looking as well.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I don't agree with that. I'm not sure what you mean by 'cheating', but I personally find it pretty difficult to effectively use circle-packing. There is so much to worry about proportions, which flap goes where, how the circles connect to each other (very important). The box-pleating section was very useful to me, actually. It was an introduction to the subject for me, and I have gained some prowess in it thanks to Lang's book. I used the techniques from ODS to start designing much more complex, and much better, models than I used to. I highly recommend the book to anyone interested in designing who isn't already very well-versed in the theory and techniques behind it. ODS covers a lot of ground and a lot of different design and folding techniques that are invaluable to any beginning designer.
benefactor08

Post by benefactor08 »

what i mean by "cheating" is that you can usually pretend that something's in a waterbomb or a straight up triangle even if it really isn't quite. it gets a little messy now and then, but if you're just doing it for personal entertainment then it works just fine, it's really easy, and it makes you feel like you've done something impressive. i actually found circle packing much more intuitive as far as knowing which flaps would fall where. you can usually tell where the center of the base is going to be and then you just work your way out from there and you can get the layering pretty well down. Box pleating really wasn't my thing. it obviously works really well if you want to get stuff perfect or if you want a lot of skinny points (that gets messy with circles sometimes) but if you're just looking to take a few hours and throw together something that looks like a bug and say "hey look, it's a bug and it's exactly what i wanted", well for most people that's a big step from dinking around point splitting a modified blitzed bird base to make...well, whatever it starts looking like.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

Wow, it looks like everyone's method for designing models is quite different from mine. For my box-pleated models, I just get a sheet of printer paper, pleat the paper into grids, figure out the refrence points, and start folding. It usually takes me a few hours to create a new model, and there are rips and tears all over the paper, depending on how many mistakes I make :lol: Then I fold it a second time, using higher quality paper, and end up with a satisfying model.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
klnothincomin

Post by klnothincomin »

I am not much of an expert when designing models, I realized that I like folding models others created more than creating them myself. Thanks for the tips anyway everyone! :)
Kevin Luo
If practice doesn't make perfect, at least it passes time! ^_^
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Creating an original origami pop-up

Post by firstfold »

I have been trying to creat a slightly different How to Video aimed at producing an original model rather than a specif step by step model. This video first presents a pop-up base. It then suggests alternatives for adding a bird to the base. Finally it shows some preliminary ideas on how to alter the base for different applications. The base is compared to another instructional video - How to create a Pop-Up Box (which is step by step)

So here is a NEW CHALLENGE:

Create an ORIGINAL pop-up bird (just in time for spring) - based on my video.
New designers migth want to keep it simple. If you think you are an expert in the design process - bring it on. I am especially interested in what beginning designers can do - does the video help???
So simple or copmplex - let me see what you can do !

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/p/42A37D775D311599" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="530" height="370"></embed>

When I see at least 3 new pop-up birds I will offer some further suggestions and a new challenge - perhaps with another intructional video - if I can get it done.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
notefolds

Post by notefolds »

I'm bumping this back to the top because it relates to a question I have.

For all of you who create your own design, what is your process? Are you just folding paper to see what comes out? Or do you set out with an intent to fold a specific thing?

I used to just fold paper to see what came out, but I usually just ended up with modified bases (like blintzed bird bases) with lots of petals folds. Pretty, but that's about it.

Now I've gotten to the point where I visualize the model I want to make and "unfold" it in my mind, trying to simplify down until I can recreate it in paper. Hard to explain. Anyway, I'm very interested in everyone's process. Hopefully we can all learn from one another!

And firstfold, I will post a reply to your challenge later this weekend :D
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I figured out that I usually go through a maximum of 6 steps.
1. Inspiration: I find some reason to fold the model, any reason at all.
2. Rough Rough Copy: I fold the model before really thinking about it, to see what problems I may run into and what I shouldn't do.
3. Picture Help: For almost every design, I find a picture on the internet of what my model will be and then use that picture as a guide
4. Outline (optional): Some models are a bit harder than others. For those that have plenty of details or color changes, I like to fold an "outline" of the model, without any major details.
5. Rough Copy: I fold the model based on the outline out of copy paper, just to get the feel of it. Sometimes I repeat this if the model come out a little strangely, to see what I can improve.
6. Final Copy: I fold the model from better paper, such as kami or tissue foil.

Of course, I don't always do this step. I have some models that have no final copy because they weren't worth it, and other models that only need a rough and final copy, and thats it.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

My design process is similar to the others posted. A good knowledge of techniques from folding other people's work helps. Knowing how certain appendages can be formed helps as well.

1. Inspiration-this for me is a big part, I get many ideas, but follow through with few of them unless I'm motivated. Challenges are a big help, and subjects I care about (such as japanese mythology, wildlife, etc.) Occasionally I doodle up a subject, such as a frog I designed this past week from a metallic green Pocky wrapper. Doodling can help you come up with interesting new moves as well.

2. Research-this is another part I usually get to, but not past. I find photos/videos on the subject, noting the striking parts of anatomy, as well as past designs on the subject. Nothing like creating a proud new beetle design only to find out at the convention you left out something and get scrutinized by your peers ;p.

3. Planning a base-If I make it this far, I at least end up with a prototype of some sort. I tend to fold prototypes with foil because its economical and takes some punishment. I don't really have a clear method for this as it varries from design to design, and I do not use anything computer aided.

4. Prototype complete, revise, refold, or try again?-Does it make the failed design box, or is it worthy of folding in better paper? A good 50% of my models that make it to prototyping go into my box of failed designs, for later study/use. I'd advise against tossing them.

5. Finished model. Usually folded with mulberry or a handmade paper, sometimes kami for simpler designs. If it makes it this far, I'm at least happy with it for now, but everything is still open for revision at a later date. Yoshizawa reworked a cicada design for many years, till it was acceptable.

If you've kept up with this, on average I put out about 5% or less of what I actually come up with in acceptable physical form =p. I still have a long way to go in fully understanding direct design, circle packing, treemaker, etc. I'm generally happier with my doodled models.

On the note about circle packing, its generally considered harder to do without computer aid. Robert Lang had a lecture on "square packing" at OUSA 2007, essentially it was about box pleating as circle packing with squares. Generally box pleating is easier for a quick, though usually paper inefficient design, being fine to do with pen and paper. Though Satoshi Kamiya and his Ryu Zin are an exception, as well as some other designs that thrive in box pleating. I don't think I quite grasped the material involved, but I got the gist of it.
origami noob

Post by origami noob »

i usually just play with the paper, folding a lot of basic folds, trying out different folds, then sometimes i see something in it and try to design it into that what i imagine it could be.

Like yesterday i designed a bat. still needs lots of work though :D and as my name says im a noob so i still cant figure out how to make legs :wink:
philipinorigami101

Post by philipinorigami101 »

sice this post is overated like, 1-2 yaers ago, mind as well throw this. I like 3d human origami, so for a base, I make an origami stick man, add a couple of folds, and there is your rough fold. Now, try to make the figure again without the base folds. This may be for you aesthetisican, but this can help others now, for 2010.
philipinorigami101

Post by philipinorigami101 »

oops, did I say overated, I ment over dated. LOLOLOLOLOL :D