1st Test Fold with Tissue Foil

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
theorigamist

Post by theorigamist »

perrosaurio, how bad are the fumes from that spray glue? I have a can of that same spray glue, but I have been hesitant to use it since I live in a dorm and don't have a good, well-ventilated place to make tissue paper.
perrosaurio

Post by perrosaurio »

hi,

in fact, they are pretty bad. You should use it in a well ventilated room. However, a single rush or gust (or two) are enough to get excellent results; I've bought a can a long time ago and still use it, and with a window opened the fumes go away very fast.

In adition, I should say that is much better if you cut out the square in the metallic sheet first with a dedicated knife and then glue the tissue to it, to finally cut the tissue following the borders of the metallic square with a different and sharp knife.

good luck on this

regards
perrosaurio.
"Trust Komatsu, he knows where we are going..."
http://origamido-en.blogspot.com/
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Personally, I would not use the spray glue inside at all. If you can, go outside.
eaglehorn

Post by eaglehorn »

-
Last edited by eaglehorn on October 9th, 2018, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I haven't used spray for quite a long time now. way to expensive and it was always a lot of dirt. the way I'm making tissue foil is a lot cleaner. usually I stand in the kitchen, the music is turned on and I'm making a couple of sheets :)
Fishgoth

Longish post...

Post by Fishgoth »

Fishy tips (updated) for foil-backing paper:

1) Use decent spray glue. You want stuff that is going to stick the tissue to the foil, but allows for a little adjustment. Craft mount spray works well, i.e., the sort made by 3M.

2) Stay indoors, in a well ventilated room. Unless the weather is perfect outdoors, a 1mph wind will blow the paper and attach it to your face / arm / pet cat. Usually after you've applied the first side perfectly. Or, you will get both sides perfect, and discover an insect sandwiched between the layers.

3) Find a 1m sheet of plyboard, or flat wood, or an old tabletop.

4) Get hold of lots of masking tape.

5) Cover the plyboard with newspaper or scrap paper, and tape it down well.

6) Get the first sheet of tissue paper. Cut it to roughly the shape you want, with a few spare cm each side.

7) Use the mask tape to attach the four corners to the plyboard. As you do so, stretch the paper so that there are no wrinkles. If it is large, you will need more than four pieces of tape.

8) Cut the foil to roughly the same size. Place it on top of the tissue, but do not attach.

9) Use some soft tissue / toilet paper / face wipes to smooth every wrinkle out of the foil paper, so it is perfectly flat and smooth.

10) Remove the foil

11) Apply the spray glue. You need to get a thin layer over all of the paper. By holding the can about 12 inches away from the paper, you will get a good layer. You will need to go over the paper rapidly, several times.

12) Enjoy your glue-sniffing high for a minute or so.

13) Take the foil, and drop it onto the sticky tissue paper. When it has landed, use the soft tissue to smooth it over.

14) Now cut out the single backed shape of paper. I often use scrap paper or masking tape to place over the sticky tissue that is not covered by foil.

15) Place the foil somewhere to dry.

16) When it is dry, smooth over with soft tissue.

17) Replace the newspaper on the plyboard.

18) Attach the second sheet of paper in the same fashion, and spray in the same fashion.

19) Drop the foil onto the sheet as before.

20) And cut as before, roughly to the same size.

21) Use a cutting board and scalpel, or guillotine to get the paper to the correct shape. An art knife is an alternative to those of you who are not full-time surgeons.

Et voila! Perfect foil backed paper with NO WRINKLES! It takes more time than traditional methods (or indeed the method on my website). But I'm getting jolly good results with it!
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Whenever I have made tissue foil, I took Lang's suggestion and did it in a garage. You can close the door to get rid of wind and open it when you're done for the ventilation.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

I did that back home. I agree, it works well. You can even keep it open the whole time as long as you know which direction the wind's blowing in.
Otherwise I used my kitchen table, haha.
Trekker_1983

Post by Trekker_1983 »

Thank you for the tips, Fishgoth! Sound really effective.
Might be hard to find spray glue here.

Nice too hear I'm not the only one using glue stick here.. :lol:
I made the tissue foil on my computer desk. Removed the keyboard and voila, I had a decent space to make 30x30 cm tissue foil. :oops:
Evilameba

Post by Evilameba »

umm...you just use "blow-your-nose-on" tissue??
and what kind of foil?? :?:
ze evil ameeba will rule all
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

You use tissue paper. Like the paper you stuff in a box or bag when giving someone a present.

And regular aluminum foil that you use in the kitchen.
Trekker_1983

Post by Trekker_1983 »

yeah.. as for me, I used crepe paper (basically it's tissue paper).
and regular cooking aluminum foil. Not so easy to reverse fold, though.
Offerd15

Post by Offerd15 »

Looks like you can buy the paper on ebay now. I bought a pack of this last week and its great stuff! Its double sided with one side being multi colored strips and the other side being solid color. I always hear you guys talk about it on this website so I decided to buy some. This is almost better than Washi paper i'd say. Hope this helps anyone looking to buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Tissue-foil is hardly the best paper available. It is extremely adequate though. And just about anything is better than most washi. Just bringing your advertisement back to reality. :)
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

Now I have learned how to really hate tissue foil. It's too thick, it's hard to make, spray glue costs WAAAAAYYYY too much, the result looks horribly unattractive and it after a while the spray glue makes it smell like crap.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr